Dogs in the close

Geoff posted on the 9/03/2018 4:49:43 PM

I have recently gotten a rescue dog who is 8 months old. She isn't 100% house trained yet so first thing in the morning and last thing at night I take her down to the close to do her business. I always pick up after her.

A neighbour just confronted me saying that the pee is killing the grass and asked me to stop letting her pee on the grass (which is fine, i can understand that). She then said that we shouldn't really be down here (in the close with a dog).

As I understand it, as a flat owner, the close is partly owned by me. So as long as the dog isn't causing any damage or mess (eg peeing on the grass) I am perfectly in the right to take her down there.

I can (and do) take her outside for proper walks too but no one wants to see me walking round dennistoun in my pjs first thing and last thing.

Does anyone know the legalities of this or have any advice?

#1 - Stephen75 replied on the 9/03/2018 6:19:12 PM

Hi,

I've lived in a few closes in Dennistoun over about 30 odds years and have come across this a few times with factors etc. being involved. It's always been the case that the back area is not for dog use. It's for bins and drying of washing - if factors/ housing association become involved that's always their line.

#2 - The Mentalist replied on the 11/03/2018 11:20:29 PM

Please use some common sense. The close is not a dog toilet.

#3 - anon replied on the 12/03/2018 11:57:46 AM

I wouldn't be happy if my neighbour was too lazy to take her dog a proper walk in the morning and last thing at night, and was letting it do its business in the back court, you might be picking up its droppings but there will still be germs left behind - not to mention the smell when it pees. I had a dog years ago and I would take it for a short walk to do the toilet at 8am, it would also get several more walks during the day with the last one about midnight, it looks like you haven't thought through having a dog and the work it takes to look after it, the back court isn't your personal dog toilet

#4 - KM replied on the 22/03/2018 8:53:01 AM

Hi

I am also in a flat in Dennistoun and have a dog. Some nights I let him out our back for his last pee for the same reasons as you do. Not everyone in our block is happy with it but no mess is left and as owners of our property, I argue we do have the right. The mess some leave out at our bins and the hall way is much worse than my dog peeing.

#5 - Anon replied on the 22/03/2018 7:07:58 PM

I wouldn't say its just about whether you have the right, if you are letting the dog into the communal area whether its making a 'mess' or urinating, its a closed in space thats shared with other people and children. Its not hygienic or safe to let a dog go to the toilet in the drying area. I love dogs and always wanted one, but letting it out into the drying area (versus a private garden) isnt fair on the other residents. But Dennistoun doesnt have much green space, so no real answer.

#6 - Anon replied on the 23/03/2018 2:29:41 AM

KM
You don't as an owner have the right to allow your dog to foul on communal areas. It belongs to others as well, not just you. That's the 'communal' aspect. Not understanding that doesn't make you right or give you the right to disrespect your neighbours like that.

#7 - anon replied on the 23/03/2018 12:07:37 PM

In recent posts, it seems the consensus is
Don't let your dog pee around houses
Don't let your dog use grasslands/parks as a dog park (bathroom)
So what is the best solution?
I don't own a dog, don't even like them but it does seem like there is no clear answer

#8 - Geoff replied on the 30/03/2018 5:09:25 PM

Appreciate the responses folks! I hadn't thought that way before (think it's from being brought up with dogs always using our garden as their bathroom).

I've now stopped taking her into the close.

#9 - Anon replied on the 7/12/2020 6:55:22 PM

Disgraceful and disgusting, dog owners letting their dogs use people's property as a toilet should be arrested and fined. Despicable to think that it's perfectly healthy for everyone to live in such an environment. You want a friocking dog then let him use your own house as a toilet. Simple as that.

#10 - anon replied on the 25/09/2022 9:34:20 PM

Interesting that a number of people are condemning the dogs using the garden for a toilet - I wonder how they are policing the birds, squirrels, rats, foxes, and cats? As far as I am concerned communal spaces are for everyone. If the dog owner picks up after their dog then there's no issue. This nonsense about germs is only a thing if you are going to immediately head over and lick the spot the dog has used... which I am guessing you arent.

#11 - R replied on the 1/02/2023 6:38:04 PM

Our back yard it's a mess. There is always bulk uplift abandoned for months as well as plenty of garbage that has fallen out of the bins... a complete mess and a disgrace! The place it's manky and nobody in our close seems to care about it. If a dog were to pee there it would not make a difference. I understand that other back yards are a lot nicer, but this one is disgusting. Still, our street ain't much better!
Personally, as long as a dog's owner cleans after their dog, I don't see a problem, As a matter of fact, our street is covered in dog faces, as well as litter and fly-tipping. There is a lot of manky people round about here! Don't blame the dogs, blame the people!

You can reply to the post Dogs in the close by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin