Alexandra Park St shops

David Hornsby posted on the 8/02/2022 3:04:03 PM

All those shops in front of the flats are gone now. They were pulled down when it looked as if a major road would be diverted down that way in the later 70s. I recall in the 60s/early 70s, Russell's at the Edinburgh Rd end which had a shop outlet selling hardware and DIY items and a busy behind the scenes workshop, where the sounds of saws could often be heard cutting wood. Then there were some garages. There was a pet shop, a greengrocers-McTaggart's, the Park Cafe (with juke box playing the latest singles during the 60s, a bakery (where as a child I bought 3d bags of broken cake!) , and at the end, partly on Cumbernauld Rd, 'Reid's Electrical.' Recall looking at the record album covers on display in a window, through the 60s which showed how tastes changed-eg Elvis, Cliff, The Shadows, Adam Faith, Billy Fury, The Beatles, Gerry & The Pacemakers, The Searchers, The Hollies, The Kinks, Sgt. Pepper's Hearts Club Band, The Who, etc etc. Happy days looking at that window often on the way to school! At the time I could only afford to buy the occasional single but, it was nice to look!! Sometimes got an album at Xmas and on birthdays. Those shops encouraged a bustle in that street at times, especially on Saturdays-which was fun and gave the area 'atmosphere.' The diversionary road never materialised. What a pity those shops came down!

#2 - Jimmy Thomson replied on the 23/03/2023 1:36:56 PM

David I well remember the shops that faced your close in Alexandra Park Street. I believe today, 23rd March is your birthday so many happy returns! My daughter lives in Onslow Drive and I did tell her about the shops that have disappeared around the corner from her flat.

#1 - Alan replied on the 10/02/2022 11:37:42 AM

Was there a garage on the corner then a movie theatre and another movie theatre further up the road? were the shops where that Ford dealer is now? I seem to think that was there in the late fifties

You can reply to the post Alexandra Park St shops by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin