Aerial Pictures of Dennistoun

Bob Jones posted on the 7/04/2017 7:46:16 PM

I was born in 1939 and brought up by my Gran in Fisher St until I was 10 when we moved to Muirend.

I have been researching the family tree for this period and in particular searching for photographs of that time with limited success.

However I have discovered that Aerial Photographs are available to the public showing an area of Dennistoun that no longer exists.

This area was demolished and consists of Ark Lane, Eveline St, Edmund St, Fisher St, McIntosh St, Duke St, and Cardross St .

The photographs were taken by an RAF Mosquito aircraft in 1946 flying at low level from the North, South, East and West.

The quality of these photographs is superb and zooming in on the detail is very rewarding.

To access them Google

BRITAIN FROM ABOVE

select BROWSE

select SEARCH WINDOW

enter SAW046338

This is one of the 7 Dennistoun photographs available to view.

#1 - jeanette replied on the 7/04/2017 10:04:44 PM

Hi Bob

I am very interested in your post. I lived in Edmund St in the 50's and my grandmother was born in Fisher St more than a hundred years ago. Unfortunately, I couldn't access the photograph you speak of when I entered the number you gave. Would you mind checking that it is correct? Many thanks.

#2 - anon replied on the 7/04/2017 10:20:16 PM

Instructions worked for me.

Always heard of these streets but never seen photos of them. Great aerial photos. Couldn't zoom in,unless you mean enlarging the browser page.

www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/saw046338?
search=SAW046338&ref=0

#3 - jeanette replied on the 8/04/2017 3:28:46 AM

Hello again Bob

My apologies. I read the search number as having the letter 'o' instead of a zero. Thanks for the link.

#4 - The Mentalist replied on the 9/04/2017 3:39:16 AM

Britain from Above is a great site. There's also some great shots of Parkhead and Carntyne.

#5 - Bob replied on the 9/04/2017 3:39:57 AM

You would have to download the photo and access via photoshop or picture software.

The detail is amazing

You can reply to the post Aerial Pictures of Dennistoun by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin