Help for a bagpiper?

Davie Roberts posted on the 2/07/2017 10:07:27 AM

Hi folks. I'm learning the bagpipes and have been now for a year. I live in a tenement in Dennstoun which isn't ideal for a piper, or the neighbours. ! I have great neighbours. & I have promised to limit my practise to ten mins per day at a reasonable hour . Anyway , to the point . I'm finding this really frustrating & would like to practise for 30/60 mins most days. Does anyone have a garage, part of a church hall or business or a padded cell that I could use? Also, you really need to like auld Lang syne !

#1 - Big Wullie replied on the 2/07/2017 12:50:09 PM

Use the practice chanter more or go to the local park, also is there a drone mute avaliable.

#2 - Davie replied on the 5/07/2017 10:04:36 PM

Ah thanks for your comments willie. I need to practice the full pipes really tbh. ( stopping the drones doesn't help me practice keeping them in tune , adjusting the reeds etc. ) Also, even doing this, the bagpipe chanter is loud. I also need to practice keeping the bag at a constant pressure, and get my blowing technique right. The practice chanter is no help with this, and the blowing techniques are very different. Anyway , can I appeal again to my lovely fellow Dennistounians for some practice space ?

#3 - Jay replied on the 9/07/2017 4:44:49 PM

years ago someone used to play the bagpipes at the top of the hill in Alexandra Park. far enough away from everyone

#4 - Ruth replied on the 11/07/2017 5:00:03 PM

need to be very far away! I think the padded cell is your best bet :) They drive people demented in Kelvingrove Park for a few weeks every year. Couldn't the council refurbish one of the disused tunnels as a practice area? Deep in the bowels of the earth it would be a mildly haunting sound, rather than a banshee wail. Are there any soundproofed recording studios in dennistoun who might be persuaded to do a very cheap rate for the public good?

You can reply to the post Help for a bagpiper? by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin