WW2 and Dennistoun

Alan posted on the 28/07/2017 7:51:51 PM

Who can remember the impact WW2 had on Dennistoun ? Such as the prefabs in Allie park , the anti aircraft guns in the park ,the air raid shelters under ground in the park ,under the football pitch , they are still there but the entrances are sealed and built over, the German bomb which ,unexploded , landed in Haghill school playground,and all the air raid shelters ,which were still around till the sixties.

#1 - Alan replied on the 29/07/2017 12:01:20 AM

We had a genuine war hero living at 38 Aberfeldy st he was Chief petty officer David Grant who won a Distinguished service medal for heroic action on board HMS Cossack at the action in Norway with the German ship the Altmark, he was presented with his medal by the King at Buckingham Palace , Mr Grant left Dennistoun in the late fifties to move to Southsea his daughter now lives in Yorkshire and has written a book about her Dad and the times in Dennistoun.

#2 - James Mc replied on the 31/07/2017 10:11:06 AM

Before my time, I'm afraid.

I did used to wonder about the odd vacant lot in Dennistoun - such as the one at the top of Whitehill St and Golfhill Drive.

Did Dennistoun suffer from bombings, is there somewhere to find out?

You can reply to the post WW2 and Dennistoun by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin