My Dennistoun memories!

Debbie posted on the 15/09/2013 10:36:34 PM

I lived with my Grandparents in 114 Ark Lane and have some wonderful memories of that time of my life. I remember Mrs Wilson who lived next door to us (Donaldsons) below us were the Manns can't remember the name of the people next to them , then there was the Lauders and Mc Dermot's. I can't remember the name of the people who lived in the close but remember the families. In the close before us were the Lauders, with kids Eleanor and David. The Watsons ( Mr Watson made the best tablet) Stevensons, Anna McLauchlan and I can't remember her partners name, but I used to work on their ice cream van as a kid! In the close up from us was Miss Nugent, Margaret McKie and her mum, The Brysons, The Brolly's The Whiteside family I used to play with Belinda. Just a few to mention! I used to play balls against the big wooden doors to Tennants. Kick the can and loved raking the midges ha ha! I remember the singers of the back courts who would come round and sing hoping to get a penny thrown out to them, my grandfather would take great delight in heating the coin up first till it was burning and then threw it out tut tut. Does anyone remember the bonfires up in the high back, we used to watch from the kitchen window. The wood would be stored in the old wash house in the backyard of the first cLose in Edmond St just round from Ark Lane, it would be guarded so no one could steal it! Many a sweetie was bought from John Pirries and Dixons and of course Candy Kate's, I loved the orange Jubilees from Archie's, anyone remember them? I remember lots of families from Firpark Ter. MCaulies,Hillcoats,Oldams,Carlins,Moffats,Heinzes,Moultry's,Wilsons.
I could go on for ever!  Great times!

#1 - joe mc dermott replied on the 17/09/2013 8:01:16 PM

hello debbie I lived at the same address as yourself the lauders were next door to us , at the bottom of the close was mr grant and accross from him was the sherlocks , just read your story absolutely magic brought back great memories , I used to rake the midgies to esp the ones up the drives they were the lucky midges , I stayed there from 1947 when I was born to 1969 , I stay in livingston now , but I visit glasgow every week to see old pals , there is a wee group of us and meet up regularly , betty parker her brother billy they stayed in fisher st , you mentioned an old pal Lawrence brolly , I phone another guy you might remember michael deans , who lived just up the lane past john pirries , my mum used to own the wee dairy next to Miss Lauders big house , then mrs lightbody bought it , you have made my day reading all about the good old days , my big brother is called Neil he was a teacher unlike me I was a desperado , I can remember most of the names you have mentioned im trying to remember yourself we must have bumped into one another surely , I used to play football in ark lane , then the polis would chase us away , what about the rocks up the road we used to climb over the graveyard !! play fitbaw there aswell on the grass , do you remember andy philips he is still around , erick craig sadly passed away jim watt also , I still visit the rock when im through they look so tiny now mind you we were only wee then , there were 3 brolly sisters denise rosemary elaine I think , as for the bonfire your dead right I used to look for wood every and then have to watch it incase some mob from fisher st wwould nick it , James Bailie and the gang , can you remember jim telfer he lived up the stair from me , do you remember the dunnie next close where anna lachlan lived used to play at ghost trains and other stuff !! , well Debbie it was great reading your page , hope to hear from you again  Joe mc dermott

#2 - Debbie replied on the 18/09/2013 9:50:58 AM

Hi Joe, I can't remember your brother but I remember you, you were 9 years older than me, I lived at 114 from 1961/62  till 72/73ish when the houses were getting pulled down. My grandparents lived there much longer. I think I can vaguely remember your mum and can remember your dad. I used to sit at the front close and I can always remember asking you where are you going, what are you doing, I was a wee pest! Did you move away before your dad? or perhaps that was a faint memory of your brother, not sure, I also remember someone getting a car that I am linking to you Joe or perhaps your brother? So long ago tho! I don't remember the other names you mentioned except for Jim Watt. I remember climbing the grave yard wall, and the endless dykes. I remember getting a hudgie on the back of the Tennents lorry's. I also used to be the look out for the watchie at Tennents so my cousins could go in and steal the wee coke bottles, we would then take them to Lena's to get sweats for them ha ha. Do you remember Jim McMillan who's dad was the MP? By the way Elaine Brolly used to babysit me when I was a baby! I remember the rocks Joe and the wee shelter that was there, endless hours of adventure. I could go on for ever, nice to hear from you Joe, look forward to more memories! Debbie

#3 - Jim Duncan replied on the 18/09/2013 12:18:51 PM

Hi Debbie. Got in touch with you a while ago through Friends Reunited. I remember playing all those games one man hunt in the graveyard oops, raking the midges, buying puff candy from the wee shop in Eveline Street constantly playing football in Golfhill School until the jannie chased us away.

I was up in Glasgow last year as I managed to get in touch with Doogie Smith, Kenny Charters and Tam Hart. We had a great weekend catching up on old times and all went out together on Saturday night. I got in touch with Alice Walker do you remember her? She has six kids and lives not far from me in Maidenhead. I had a good walk around the terrace etc brought back some great old memories. Any way hope your keeping well. All the best hope you and family are doing well.......Jim

#4 - joe mc dermott replied on the 18/09/2013 7:13:44 PM

Hi Debbie I think I can remember you I left ark lane in 1969 got married  my mum and dad were still living in ark lane my mum was confined to the house mosstly , my dad still lived there till they pulled the houses down , he came out to Livingston with us as my mum passed away , my brother had a car he was a teacher in st mungos on duke st he is 13 years older than me and has altzimers now ! I also used to do buisiness with tennents we used to nick the empty beer bottles when the lorries used to park in ark lane , Lawrence brolly Michael Deans and myself we were very good pals then still are , I wonder where Lawrence went to , climbed all the dykes aswell I would be playing football and training a lot when you lived there , also ran about fisher st with our gang the seni !! , I was in tennents brewry for a tour with my brother neil a few months back , it certainly has changed my brother worked there when he was a  student at uni , john pirrie is still alive my brother met a few years back , and his wee shop on the corner is still there ! yep lenas was a great ice cream cafe , did you ever dig for clay up the clayhill next to the swings , the swing park was good to , I also remember the wee building up at the rocks I think it was an old air raid shelter wee used to cut through the backyards to go over to the building to play football next to the power station where we had our bon fires , we used to heat totties in siver paper ! miss lauder had the big house in ark lane I used to play with folk in there a brother and sister , my fav was shaws the baker on a sat pies for tea magic , the chip shop accross my Lenas cafe I think his name was Johny and mamie bell worked there she also worked in the chip shop at the corner of eveline st and dunchatin st , anyway hope your well Debbie do you still live in glasgow , love remnicsing about the old days cheers for now Joe

#5 - Debbie replied on the 18/09/2013 8:07:28 PM

Hi Jim, Yep I remember having a chat to you on Friends Reunited, I am just never on it so was unable to keep contact up with people who was on it. I am also in touch with Alice, I was down last year and had a great day out with her and Jackie, what a laugh we had! I can remember Dougie well as I used to hang about with his sister Carol, I can remember his mum and dad and Janice, how is Dougie and what is he up to these days? Did he mention his sisters, I wonder how they are. Jim are you on Facebook? It would be good to keep in touch. Do you remember Cally (Jim Callaghan) I am still in touch with him, also Jim Mc Millan and Geraldine, Jackie, Lisa and of course Alice. I think it would be great if we could get as many of the old Dennistonians together for a reunion to share good memories and some laughs, perhaps next year what do you think? Joe if your reading this what do you think? Hope you and yours are well. If any of you are on FB send me a friends request (Debbie Dickie) I now live in Dumfries and Galloway.

#6 - Debbie replied on the 18/09/2013 9:41:41 PM

Hi Joe, Oh my goodness I had forgot about shaws we used to have their pies every Saturday as well, they were just the best! Then late in the evening my gran and I would walk down to the bottom of Ark Lane, cross at the zebra and get chips from the chippy to the right then walk round to corner of Dunchatten St to get the Sunday papers, by the time we got back the chips were done! Nothing like chips out of the newspaper bag! I remember that your mum died Joe and thought you had left the lane to get married, very few folk had cars in they days Joe so that's why the car stuck in my mind because I can remember giving its owner aka your bro the 3rd degree haha " is that your car" ect ect. We were still there when your dad and the Lauders left and I can remember the doors had been put in in both houses. My grandfather and another neighbour went in to check it wasn't squatters before they secured them again and I sneaked in behind them and nearly got shut in, you see I was exploring and had found a lot of old gramophone records and was so enthralled by them I forgot where I was till I heard a nail getting hammered into the door, then I was screaming like a pig, boy did I get a skellped backside! What was even worse was I wasn't allowed to take the records! Not that I could ever have played them! I now live in Dumfries and Galloway Joe and have 3 grown up kids with 5 grandchildren and have been married for 35 years. Have put my Facebook details on my reply above to Jim, if your on FB send me a friend request. Debbie

#7 - Debbie replied on the 18/09/2013 9:41:44 PM

Hi Joe, Oh my goodness I had forgot about shaws we used to have their pies every Saturday as well, they were just the best! Then late in the evening my gran and I would walk down to the bottom of Ark Lane, cross at the zebra and get chips from the chippy to the right then walk round to corner of Dunchatten St to get the Sunday papers, by the time we got back the chips were done! Nothing like chips out of the newspaper bag! I remember that your mum died Joe and thought you had left the lane to get married, very few folk had cars in they days Joe so that's why the car stuck in my mind because I can remember giving its owner aka your bro the 3rd degree haha " is that your car" ect ect. We were still there when your dad and the Lauders left and I can remember the doors had been put in in both houses. My grandfather and another neighbour went in to check it wasn't squatters before they secured them again and I sneaked in behind them and nearly got shut in, you see I was exploring and had found a lot of old gramophone records and was so enthralled by them I forgot where I was till I heard a nail getting hammered into the door, then I was screaming like a pig, boy did I get a skellped backside! What was even worse was I wasn't allowed to take the records! Not that I could ever have played them! I now live in Dumfries and Galloway Joe and have 3 grown up kids with 5 grandchildren and have been married for 35 years. Have put my Facebook details on my reply above to Jim, if your on FB send me a friend request. Debbie

#8 - joe mc dermott replied on the 19/09/2013 6:14:46 PM

Hi Debbie that was unreal I wonder if that was the day my dad left for Livingston , he left an awful lot of stuff in the house , and the room you were in was my room and I remember the old records 78s and vinal too !! that is unreal great memories of that room , I have just phoned my brother Neil who has altzimers and told him about it he could understand that okay , cheers for that , I am on facebook but not to good at it but I will send you an invite !! well try , my dad hust got his own stuff and just left without letting me and neil know so we could not get back in because it was all boarded up !! , im glad you did not get locked in , I wish I was back there , I am married 45years on sat have 3 grown up 2 girls and a boy and 4 grandchildren im in front of you on years but your ahead on kids ! cant get away with your story about the house , just wish you had taken some of the records , I am going to see my brother tomorrow he stays in Kirkintilloch and tell him again about your exploits in the hoose , my dad stayed with us for a while but him and Jenny the wife did not get on !! so he got a wee flat just along the road from us he died about 6 years later , I can still see the old door with the big locking key , think they used them in barlinnie !! , yep what I would do for a shaws pie and the hot rolls , wee bobby used to sell the papers at the bottom of dunchatin st , you could also get rolls there too from Eddie the rollman we used to call him and that was at 10-30 pm at night !! we used to help bobby with the papers when he was ****ed !! sorry for that , anyway I will try face book and send to a message cheers for that Debbie what a momory that was   Joe

#9 - Jim Duncan replied on the 19/09/2013 10:00:49 PM

Hi debbie.Thanks for getting back to me dougie is doing ok he was driving lorries for a while but had a touch of angina so they took his license away,he is now a security guard at parkhead forge. He never said old timesaid much about his sisters i remember janice done a bit of modelling a long time ago dont know much about carol,its nice to cast your mind back to the old times i remember most of the names you mentioned the wilson sisters ann, helen ,and i think margaret,brenda waters,may campbell,patricia sherrie,janice &iris oldham,ann carlin,i also remember jim mcmillam we called him mickey for some reason. I dont remember jim callaghan or a lisa where did they live ?.If joe is reading this for some reason i dont remember him either although i remember wee bobby the paper man.Your idea of a reunion is right up my street as i only need half a chance to get back up to glasgow, i still work for hilton hotels and know the general manager of the glasgow hilton[he worked with me years ago down in newbury]so if it could be arranged to get a few old faces together we could meet up there for a drink and some food on staff rates of course [ha ha].I am on facebook but dont use it much so could you keep in touch on this site i will get my son to sort out how to use facebook properly.Nice to see you are in touch with alice i lost touch with most of the guys i used to run around with its quite a shock when you meet up but after a few minutes its just like old times,i was up in glasgow with my son aroud 5 years ago he is football mad just like me we went on the hampden park tour and as a one of we were allowed on the pitch[my idea of heaven]i he went in goal and i scored a penalty so i have officialy scored a goal at hampden so can now die happy! Anyway debbie keep in touch on this site i will get word to some of the old faces and see if something can be arranged for next year.All the best hope to hear from you soon.......Jim

#10 - Jim Duncan replied on the 19/09/2013 10:00:52 PM

Hi debbie.Thanks for getting back to me dougie is doing ok he was driving lorries for a while but had a touch of angina so they took his license away,he is now a security guard at parkhead forge. He never said old timesaid much about his sisters i remember janice done a bit of modelling a long time ago dont know much about carol,its nice to cast your mind back to the old times i remember most of the names you mentioned the wilson sisters ann, helen ,and i think margaret,brenda waters,may campbell,patricia sherrie,janice &iris oldham,ann carlin,i also remember jim mcmillam we called him mickey for some reason. I dont remember jim callaghan or a lisa where did they live ?.If joe is reading this for some reason i dont remember him either although i remember wee bobby the paper man.Your idea of a reunion is right up my street as i only need half a chance to get back up to glasgow, i still work for hilton hotels and know the general manager of the glasgow hilton[he worked with me years ago down in newbury]so if it could be arranged to get a few old faces together we could meet up there for a drink and some food on staff rates of course [ha ha].I am on facebook but dont use it much so could you keep in touch on this site i will get my son to sort out how to use facebook properly.Nice to see you are in touch with alice i lost touch with most of the guys i used to run around with its quite a shock when you meet up but after a few minutes its just like old times,i was up in glasgow with my son aroud 5 years ago he is football mad just like me we went on the hampden park tour and as a one of we were allowed on the pitch[my idea of heaven]i he went in goal and i scored a penalty so i have officialy scored a goal at hampden so can now die happy! Anyway debbie keep in touch on this site i will get word to some of the old faces and see if something can be arranged for next year.All the best hope to hear from you soon.......Jim

#11 - Debbie replied on the 20/09/2013 2:19:40 AM

Jim, you must remember Lisa Moffat she stayed in the last close on Firpark terrace next to the rocks, Jackie ,Lisa and I were best palls! Caley lived in the bluevale flats and was also football mad and played for one of the local teams. Hey that's a fantastic idea to have the reunion in the Glasgow Hilton , which one is it Jim? I have stayed often in the Hilton strathclyde and a couple of times in the one on Great Western Rd. I have only stated once in the city centre one. Which Hilton do you work? I can ralley up a few of the oldies as I am sure Joe can and so can you, and ask Dougie about Carol and Janice and we could put a wee post on this site nearer the time what a blast it would be! I would say to my aunt and cousins also. Do you have any family left in glasgow? When do you think next year? Joe what's your thoughts? What age is your son Jim? Just hope he is old enough not to be taken in by your thoughts of fame scoring a goal at Hamden lol Dx

#12 - Debbie replied on the 20/09/2013 2:19:43 AM

Jim, you must remember Lisa Moffat she stayed in the last close on Firpark terrace next to the rocks, Jackie ,Lisa and I were best palls! Caley lived in the bluevale flats and was also football mad and played for one of the local teams. Hey that's a fantastic idea to have the reunion in the Glasgow Hilton , which one is it Jim? I have stayed often in the Hilton strathclyde and a couple of times in the one on Great Western Rd. I have only stated once in the city centre one. Which Hilton do you work? I can ralley up a few of the oldies as I am sure Joe can and so can you, and ask Dougie about Carol and Janice and we could put a wee post on this site nearer the time what a blast it would be! I would say to my aunt and cousins also. Do you have any family left in glasgow? When do you think next year? Joe what's your thoughts? What age is your son Jim? Just hope he is old enough not to be taken in by your thoughts of fame scoring a goal at Hamden lol Dx

#13 - Jim Duncan replied on the 21/09/2013 9:54:26 AM

hi debbie. I got your message through facebook i am still not to familiar with it so could you communicate through this site thanks. I dont know why you thought i lived in bolton i live in newbury berkshire its a lovely little market town about the size of stirling. Yes i still work for hilton[25 years now]ther is two hiltons in newbury i work at what they call hilton north. The glasgow hotel i was hoping to arrange is the main one in william street if there is enough people i will try to get us a small conference room and maybe a bit of music[tamla motown of course]we do reunions often at my hotel and they always seem to go of very well,i would think maybe one of the summer months next year would best if people have to travel a distance although we will have to hurry while ive still got a bit of hair and can still see. I still cant for the life of me remember lisa as my memory of those times is pretty good.I always remember you and jackie used to keep playing a record by bobbie gentry ill never fall in love again is that right or is the old brain playing up?. My son is 29 now and hoping to join the police he might have got in 5 years ago but due to the recession and cut backs he is still waiting.Anyway debbie if all goes well ill get in touch with the manger at glasgow hilton they normally have things booked a year in advance and then try and get a date thats suits everybody,i should get a fair bit of discount as staff rates are very good when i go up to stay in the glasgow hilton its usually only 16 pounds per night bed & breakfast.Hope to hear from you soon all the best to you and your family.....Jim

#14 - Jim Duncan replied on the 21/09/2013 9:54:28 AM

hi debbie. I got your message through facebook i am still not to familiar with it so could you communicate through this site thanks. I dont know why you thought i lived in bolton i live in newbury berkshire its a lovely little market town about the size of stirling. Yes i still work for hilton[25 years now]ther is two hiltons in newbury i work at what they call hilton north. The glasgow hotel i was hoping to arrange is the main one in william street if there is enough people i will try to get us a small conference room and maybe a bit of music[tamla motown of course]we do reunions often at my hotel and they always seem to go of very well,i would think maybe one of the summer months next year would best if people have to travel a distance although we will have to hurry while ive still got a bit of hair and can still see. I still cant for the life of me remember lisa as my memory of those times is pretty good.I always remember you and jackie used to keep playing a record by bobbie gentry ill never fall in love again is that right or is the old brain playing up?. My son is 29 now and hoping to join the police he might have got in 5 years ago but due to the recession and cut backs he is still waiting.Anyway debbie if all goes well ill get in touch with the manger at glasgow hilton they normally have things booked a year in advance and then try and get a date thats suits everybody,i should get a fair bit of discount as staff rates are very good when i go up to stay in the glasgow hilton its usually only 16 pounds per night bed & breakfast.Hope to hear from you soon all the best to you and your family.....Jim

#15 - joe mc dermott replied on the 24/09/2013 2:49:30 PM

Hello Debbie I was speaking to my brother Neil telling him about your exploits in our house , he has metioned some other names Kenmuir, Price, wilson , dont know if they ring a bell, he also named some holk from firpark terrace tommy john bannagin ,john robertson ie robbie , tom (cunningham collins )

#16 - Beth replied on the 25/09/2013 10:17:51 AM

Reunion Next Year?? Maybeeeeee sounds good

#17 - Debbie replied on the 6/10/2013 3:05:47 AM

Hi Folks, Sorry for late reply but been on holiday! Reunion next year at the Hilton sounds good to me Jim. Joe don't recognise any of the names your brother mentioned, but he was a lot older than me so probably I would not have known them. Jim Boby Gentry, what a blast from the past ha ha! Did you and Duncan Learment? Not go to London for a few days ? Can't believe you have worked for Hilton for 25 years wow! Beth where did you live ? Speek soon guys, all the best Debbie

#18 - jim duncan replied on the 6/10/2013 10:46:55 AM

hi debbie. yes dunky and myself went to london for a week in 1968 we were only 15 years old at the time i told my ma i was going to the isle of arran she would have gone mental me going to london at that age,a week later she asked if i had a good time in arran i said it was great,she said its funny but the wee present you brought me back had a label on the bottom saying purchased in madam tussauds london ! oh the innocence of being 15.anyway debbie what we will eventually have to do is just pick a month and date and take it from their and then i get the ball rolling, i am just about to get my facebook updated so will try to keep in touch on there ,otherwise most of dennistoun will turn up ,will make a rule you have to be born within 25 yards of ark lane to come to the do[ha ha],as soon as you know anything further let me know the quicker dates are sorted out the better, all the best for now if facebook not right get me on this site......jim

#19 - Eileen Cusack replied on the 25/04/2019 2:13:13 PM

I just came across the post by Debbie, 15/09/2013, re 114 Ark Lane and wondered if the Watsons she remembered were my family who lived at 108 Ark Lane. (Andrew and Sarah were my grandparents)

You can reply to the post My Dennistoun memories! by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin