Dennistoun JS school

Big Wullie posted on the 18/02/2014 6:31:32 AM

Is there anyone out there who went to this school 1949/1951

#1 - Ex Dennistoun replied on the 19/02/2014 4:30:36 PM

Big Wullie,
Not sure whether you mean Dennistoun School (the building which is now St. Dennis's I think) or Whitehill JS School which used to be known locally as Onslow Drive School. Either way, you should find the school on Friends Reunited website and should be able to see a list of any pupils who have posted on there. Good luck with the search.

#2 - Big Wullie replied on the 21/02/2014 11:20:07 PM

Thanks Ex Dennistoun, it was on Meadowpark Street and was Dennistoun Junior Secondary, it seems like it never existed I have tried several times to try and find info  on this site  and others, maybe it was too long ago and people have passed on. Thanks Big Wullie

#3 - Iain Robertson replied on the 25/02/2014 7:24:53 AM

This is not a school that pupils were proud of, there was Whitehill S.C. Onslow Drive then Dennistoun J.S. where all the pupils were sent who did not pass their qualifying exams for Whitehill S.C.or Onslow Drive S.C.

No doubt hence the silence, plus as big Wullie said most would have passed on.

Regards Robbie
Formerly Dunchatten St then Whitehill St 43 - 64
Emigrated to N.Z. 64

#4 - Ex Dennistoun replied on the 26/02/2014 12:13:43 PM

Hi, try looking for it on Google and on Friends reunited as Dennistoun Public School. I looked there and,I might be wrong, but I still think it is the one which is now St. Dennis's....that's at the corner of Meadowpark and Roslea Drive. Where abouts in Meadowpark was the school you are thinking of? There are pupil names listed for Dennistoun Public School on Friends reunited. I hope this is it!

#5 - Alan replied on the 26/02/2014 3:49:53 PM

Its what was called ,at the time , as a "trade school " pretty rough!

#6 - Alan replied on the 26/02/2014 4:43:27 PM

Post ww2 Dennistoun school kids sat an exam called "eleven plus " the results of this determined what secondary school you went to , from memory the top was Whitehill senior secondary even there you were further divided .Il1 being taught Latin ,If1 French and 1gi German.Onslow drive was more a comprehensive education and what you would now call "drop outs " went to Dennistoun Js , a lot of parents would consider it a disgrace if their kids went there,different world !

#7 - Big Wullie replied on the 1/03/2014 2:13:27 PM

Alan your right about it being a type of trade school,think about it where would we be without tradesmen. Yes it could be rough sometimes, but you don't get to being   a  tradesman without some good skills, whether it be electrical, carpentry, plumbing, sheet metal work just to mention a few, so you see we not dummies as you have hinted. Me I've done very well for myself, have been retired twenty two years with an extremely good pension .PS I was a bit of a slow learner.

#8 - Alan replied on the 1/03/2014 8:43:29 PM

Hi Big Wullie I dint mean to give the impression that kids who went to Dennstoun js were all dummies , as a matter of fact it is my under standing that skiffle star Lonnie Donnigan went there ! More to the point what I was intimating was that children's futures was decided as a result of one exam, I believe the system was changed sometime in mid sixties to a comprehensive education for all high schools. //

#9 - Big Wullie replied on the 2/03/2014 6:23:32 PM

Alan, every things good. BW

#10 - Christine archer nee Lappin replied on the 20/03/2017 10:46:17 PM

Dennistoun junior secondary school was a good school. It's true most of us failed the eleven plus,a one off exam that decided your future. I spent three years there and loved every minute,great teachers ,lovely school trips and a best friend. I am putting my school photo on glasga pals hoping some of my chums are still around.

#11 - Big Wullie replied on the 21/03/2017 1:09:08 PM

Hi Christene, what years did you attend. I will be looking forward to your photo on glesga pals.

#12 - IChristine replied on the 21/03/2017 8:05:18 PM

I attended Dennistoun J S from 1955-1958. I remember the head teacher was Mr Smith I remember the teachers Mrs Gibson, Miss McKenzie,Miss Clark,Mrs Cox, Mrs Mc Cardle Mr Dunbar and MrBrown was the music teacher. I remember quite a lot of the girls in my class they were a lovely bunch. Margaret Archer,Maureen Findlater,Betty Low, Margaret McWhinnie,marlyn McFarlane,wilma Anderson Rose Edgar, Happy Happy days!!!

#13 - Alex Gibson replied on the 26/07/2017 4:12:01 PM

I was a pupil here from 1953 to 1956 and It made me grow up very quickly. I loved the school and to say it was not a school to be proud of is rubbish, o.k. so we were no all the brightest of the bunch but we had to work that little bit harder than some others.The head teacher then was Mr. Smith as it was when Christine was there, Mr. Smith picked me out for reasons unknown to me to go to Glenmore Lodge, a sort of outward bound centre near Aviemore, I absolutely loved it and I have been going there regularly ever since. If any one remembers me please get in touch. I had a few pals during my time there including : Gordon Brown,David Angus,Raymond Fauld, Tommy Fechman, George Guffog, Forbes Morton and many others my contact e-mail is lexgib@gmail.com

#14 - jeanette replied on the 27/07/2017 1:35:21 AM

I attended Golfhill Primary in the 50's and early 60's and at that time the teacher passed on to the kids the idea that those who were going to Dennistoun Secondary were the bottom of the bunch and 'no-hopers'. The 11 plus exam was a dreadful way to segregate children and decide their future in one fell swoop. It's interesting to see that those attended the Dennistoun school can all write grammatically----as opposed to some these days who have degrees from university.

#15 - James Mc replied on the 27/07/2017 12:20:05 PM

I have three university degrees, and I can guarantee you that going to Uni in no way guarantees that someone is even halfway intelligent :) Some of the daftest people I ever met were there - and I am one of them!

#16 - iain Robertson replied on the 1/08/2017 10:07:49 AM

Well here we are all crawling out of the wood work after all these years.
Golfhill 48 to 53 failed highers, D.J.S. 53 / 58.
Served my apprentice as an interior decorator 58 / 63.
Achieved my City & Guilds in London, emigrated to N.Z. 64.
Ended up starting a company from scratch, finished up with a $120 million turn over with 95 staff.
Mr Smith was a star, always said "polish your shoes and you will look smart, I always looked at a persons shoes before I employed them.
I may be mistaking but did Mr Dunbar marry Miss Clark?
I did not achieve three degrees, however , I am convinced that a lot of former pupils were very successful, the highers exam was a disgrace.
Iain Robertson

#17 - Christine Archer. Nee Lappin replied on the 29/08/2017 5:36:03 PM

Yes Ian, Mr Dunbar the P E teacher did marry Miss Clark, a very attractive modern Art teacher. A friend of mine at the school was related to Mr Dunbar, her name was Maureen Findlater.

#18 - Grace Bell ( nee Burness) replied on the 29/01/2018 11:52:00 PM

Would love if someone could tell me the name of the primary facility/ school that was at the site of Dennistoun Juniour Secondary in the 1950s? I started school there in 1953. There are other folk in the 'Auld Glasgow 'site who were educated there as well and we all called the school Dennistoun Primary School, but there seems to be no history of it at all! It certainly was there and I lived in 25 Meadowpark Street , right across the road from it! Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

#19 - Alan replied on the 26/01/2019 11:18:29 AM

Yes those days one had to know your place ! different now .

#20 - Alan replied on the 30/01/2019 12:57:58 PM

Grace it is now called St Dennis primary school , I think it is a Catholic school....

#21 - Jean replied on the 2/02/2019 5:23:52 PM

Dennistoun Primary School was in the low rise building in Roslea Drive which is still in use. Pupils attended there for 2 1/2 years and then went on to Alexandra Parade or Haghill Primaries depending where you stayed. It was a great wee school which I attended for August 1951 to January 1954

#22 - Alan replied on the 9/02/2019 7:53:52 PM

Anyone know whats happening to Haghill school ,it looks like a bomb site on google ! I went there from 1950 till 1957 then Whitehill then New Zealand in 1958 , I suppose the march of time has taken its toll on x pupils ?

#23 - Donald mckechnie replied on the 1/11/2020 3:57:55 PM

Went to Denny 1954 to 57 great fun top teacher smith fresh air Sam Donald Dunbar and all the teachers already spoken Of learned very little but have done very well for myself it might shock many of the teachers..still a Denny boy

#24 - ian johnston replied on the 8/05/2021 1:03:11 PM

I went to Whitehill Senior Secondary school from about 1957 - 1960. I dont remember many names but for Alec Fleming as we were both in the school gymnastic team, his father was a train driver, I have a vague impression that Alec became a quite successful runner. Also Davy Chambers who lived in Ruchazie, I was in Garthamlock.. I'm now 75 living in Australia since 1969 Melbourne 1st, then Perth.

#25 - Hugh Jack replied on the 28/05/2021 8:11:41 AM

I went to "Denny" from 1952 - 1955 & left with a "Scottish leaving certificate". I was the captain of the prefects for at least one year. I agree that the exam leading to people being placed in Denny was unfair. When I took my pilots license exam I was competing against Doctors, lawyers, and all the class had university degrees & I was the top of the class. The headmaster was Mr' MacWhirter, my favourite teacher was Mr Lang, the music teacher, & Mr' Dunbar was a P E teacher who was tough on the boys. I now live in Canada, where I have owned four businesses, & many university graduates have worked for me.

#26 - johncreebell@btinternet.com replied on the 8/10/2021 3:00:12 AM

Does anyone remember MARGARET GUTHRIE who went to Dennistoun J.S.school 1963 to 1966,she lived in Craigendmuir St.BLackhill.(Riddrie primary school.)

You can reply to the post Dennistoun JS school by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin