Old Shops etc

James Mc posted on the 21/07/2017 4:10:12 PM

Trying hard to remember old shops from the 70s from all over Dennistoun.

I recall vividly being sent down Whitehill St to "Robbs" newsagent (now part of Tapa), and a trip into "Frasers" dairy (now Londis) to get milk and a pan loaf. Also on that row of shops was Dr Chazan's doctor's surgery (empty now), and across Roselea Dr was the "Mini Market" (now Day-Today) who used to take ginger bottles off you for money.

At the corner with Duke St was the butchers - demolished when that building came down - now where Coias Cafe is. Across from it was Pete's Eats chippie (now Neptune), the laundrette, and Quinns pet shop right on the corner (now a Pawnie)

As a kid, I used to go along to Sutherlands Toy Shop (where Tibo is now) and buy Star Wars figures with my pocket money. Further along Duke Street - last shop before the fence (now Duke of Iron) was another small toy shop which used to sell Airfix models and paints. There was a shoe shop somewhere long there as well.

Across Duke St there was a big Clydesdales telly shop (now Salvation Army) and a Tot Spot kids clothes shop (Hospice Shop now i think).

Other small shops of yesterday was the wee newsagents on Garthand Drive at Armadale St where I would get Nutella and a packet of football cards with bubblegum in them. I think this shop has been open a few times, a lettings agency most recently) Then there was a wee shop across from the Whitehill Pool on the corner on Onslow Drive which I used to go to on the way to the matinee at the Parade cinema - I think it's a cafe now.

There used to be a whole load of wee old-fashioned shops on Alexandra Park street before they nkocked that side down to make the road wider, though I can only remember the Golf Cafe (now empty I think) on the other side which used to sell ice lollies on the way up to the park

Not to mention the Fine Fare - I was at the grand opening, when Denis Waterman, at the height of his Sweeney, Minder fame, opened it. I also saw it demolished. Used to play all over the old Whitehill School, both before and after it was closed down, demolished.

Does anyone remember Cecil Wheelbarrow playing there?

Thanks for listening to my nostalgic drivel :)

#88 - Ruth Birrell (Vint) replied on the 1/03/2024 8:57:43 PM

To Martin Dick. I lived at 34 Hillfoot St. Your cousin, Beverley Dick, your was in my class at school. She also lived in Hillfoot St.

#87 - Jimmy Wood replied on the 23/11/2023 8:21:01 PM

The Cycle shop in Whitehill St was Tam McGinnies who moved to a smaller shop in Sword Street.

#86 - brian rooney replied on the 28/10/2023 8:09:14 PM

loved Martin Dicks comment: I'lived in Dennistoun all of my life (so far) I knew your father ! I told my family about seeing Sean Connery in Hillfoot St ,I got some funny looks for a wee while very best wishes Brian

#85 - Martin Dick replied on the 27/09/2023 4:20:53 PM

Robert Dick the Tailor was my father, sadly he passed away December 2022. I used to work for him in the tailors shop at 22 Hillfoot Street. He owned and/or rented at least 4 storefront properties on Hillfoot.
There was a TV and Appliance repair shop, I cant remember the guys name, he was a real character, could fix anything while chain smoking all day and night. The bingo hall on Hillfoot was owned by the Graham family, I remember when the daughter Lindsay opened a really good cafe in the bingo parlour, I had a bit of a crush on her, she was so nice and really cute.
There was a first class cobbler across the street from my dad, also cant remember the name.
My mum and dad used to go to the Palais when they dated, somewhere in my mums house are lots of pictures from the Palais.
My dad retired around 1992 and the business was taken over by his employee, Jack Houston, Jack ran the business under my fathers name until he retired and closed shop in 2020 approx. He certainly did make suits for the rich and famous, he should have written a book. Sean Connery was the most famous customer probably, I did meet him and my dad was a close friend of Sir Sean, he used to play golf with him and his celebrity friends who in turn became customers. My dad made suits for almost all Scottish television and stage personalities and even lots of famous English ones, Bruce Forsyth, Jimmy Tarbuck and many, many more. Sports personalities made up a huge group among his well known clientele. Almost every famous Rangers and Celtic player from the 60's through to the late 80's and team managers and owners went to my dad. He did very well with the professional snooker players, Stephen Hendry being long standing customer who regularly came to Hillfoot St, Stephen got his first suit from my dad when he was a teen. The main reason he did so well with the snooker guys was that he made their waistcoats in such a way that when they bent over to take a shot the waistcoats were longer in the back that traditionally and therefore didn't expose to much of their lower back on TV. He did very well with suits for stage, unlike a suit that you'd wear for business or pleasure, stage suits were over the top, several times I saw very odd looking tuxedo's in very bright pink, yellow, purple and other extreme colors, they looked hideous close up, but from a distance on stage or TV under the lights they were amazing. A lesser known fact was that he helped Marjorie Wallace who was a American and Miss World 1973, she was dating George Best the Man United player, they came to my dads shop to get a pant suit repaired for some big event in Glasgow on short notice. I got an autographed picture from her, said Love to Martin and XOXO all over it, I was only 9 years old and in love with her. LOL George gave me one of his personal Man united shirts and signed it, It was really big, but I wore it all the time. My dad made several suits for me, I was probably the best dressed kid in Glasgow at one point....LOL All the celebrity stuff aside he made suits for a huge number of regular folks from the East End of Glasgow and beyond, almost everyone getting married would go to him for their wedding suit, he'd even let them make payments to try help them out, a suit back in the 70's would have cost about 120 pounds, a huge amount back then when most regular people didn't make 100 per week. He was always willing to do repairs and alterations for a very low cost to the locals of the area, even did it free many times to help someone out. Speaking of locals, he made suits for almost all the gangsters of Glasgow. Nobody messed with my dad or his business as he was off limits to local hoodlums due to being friends with the top dogs in town. Any young idiot that tried to break into my days shop was in very big trouble, Arthur Thompson didn't take too kindly to anyone that caused a delay in him getting a new winter coat or suit. Almost every bar owner, night club owner, restaurateur and business person went to my dad, he could pretty much eat and drink for free in any place in Glasgow. All the big demolition and construction company owners came to him for suits. I eventually opened my own shop a couple of doors up from him on Hillfoot street (Martin Dick Designer Clothes), gave that up in 1988, my staff took it over and it remained an alteration shop for a very long time and eventually moved to the other side of Hillfoot. I moved to Germany and then the USA, I've lived in Northern Virginia (near Washington DC) for 33 years, I still miss Scotland, Glasgow and especially all the amazing people I met while working in Dennistoun.

#84 - Tony replied on the 27/09/2023 8:39:30 AM

My gran owned the alteration's shop in sword street during the 90s but sold early 2000s. Her name is Margaret (Rita) Cook, late stage dementia now but was just wondering if anyone remembered the shop and what it was called.

#83 - Howard replied on the 27/08/2023 7:31:38 PM

Now re 81 and 82 correction
Seems the shop was in the 30s or 40s.
Thanks

#82 - Howard replied on the 27/08/2023 3:21:08 PM

Re post 81
Her dads name was William she now says and it's possible the shop was earlier than the 70s
Sorry

#81 - Howard replied on the 27/08/2023 3:13:21 PM

Anyone remember John Dunlop Kings fruiterer and florist shop on Duke St near Coias Cafe in the 60s or so. His daughter Betty is in a care home and mentioned this. Would be good if anyone has photo or memory we can tell her. Thanks

#80 - Jim Learmont replied on the 23/06/2023 10:55:13 AM

I lived at 54 Fisher Street above the dairy and Lairds paper shop and we backed onto the close at Shaws bakery .

#79 - Gwenneth Duncan replied on the 10/06/2023 3:26:18 PM

Does anyone remember Duncan's Mini Mart (George and Betty) in the 1970's, my relatives used to live around that area.

#78 - Robert replied on the 4/06/2023 4:30:34 PM

If memory serves, at one point think it was Bruces records, and after that was owned by Tam Russell ( ex Radio Clyde rock show presenter ) Hope that helps.

#77 - Anthony Neil replied on the 22/05/2023 1:52:39 PM

I remember a record store in duke street across from peters in the 80's it was tower records think it was also taken over by another record store chain. Any one remember any other names it went by.

#76 - Ruth Birrell replied on the 23/03/2023 11:36:11 PM

I loved the post about Dunchatten St. I lived at 71 Eveline St, which was off Dunchatten St. It was indeed a great place to live. You never needed to leave Dunchatten street. It had everything you needed. I remember Links the chemist near the bottom, close to Duke St.

#75 - allan watson replied on the 13/03/2023 4:48:46 PM

Considering it was just an ordinary street off Duke st., the families living around Dunchatten st. must have been the best served in Dennistoun. Down one side, starting with a good sized Co-op grocers there was Dixon's newagents and general store, Mary's dairy, Lui's fish and chips, the Meadowbank dry cleaners and Joseph Irving's dads' cobbler shop and the Doctor's surgery. Across Fisher St. you had Frank's fish and fresh egg van, a fruit and veg. store with banana's painted above the shop window, which in the early post war years were the only banana's you were likely to see. Next was Jimmy Wilson's the butcher, Strabanes the grocers and Blackadder's another butchers followed by a toy shop where you spent hours looking and not buying.
Down the other side of Dunchatten street there was Flemings general store, Lena's ice cream shop next to Tuck's stores that sold everything and anything. Then you had Shaw's the baker, famous for their pies, Candy Kate's the sweet shop. a cigarette shop, another dairy and Berber's clothes shop
If you wanted to place a bet, a bookies runner stood in a close in lower McIntosh street watching for the 'polis'.
What a street, and I have probably missed a few. Looking back makes me appreciate what a great place it was to grow up in.

#74 - Bill replied on the 11/03/2023 1:42:45 PM

Can anyone remember the name of the tailors and outfitters name on Duke street between Millerston Street and Bluevale street

#73 - Agnes (nee Barr) replied on the 24/02/2023 2:45:04 PM

Loved reading the posts. Many of the memories are more recent than mine. In reply to some of the posts.

In the 50's I lived at 15 Gateside Street with the Bristol Bar on one corner and a barbers on the other. Next to barbers was Mrs Barrie's fruit & veg shop and next to that was a grocer and a newsagent owned by Joe Mulholland. Kate worked for a long time in the grocers and my mother, Cathie, worked there part-time. Next was Bluevale Church and next to that was Jimmy Sneddons bakery. I thing he only made rolls and mutton pies. There were 3 fish & chip shops in the next block. The middle one was run by Margaret and her brother Frank. One of my mother's cousins "stepped out" with Margaret but I was told that her family wouldn't let them marry to keep the shop in the family. Sorry, I can't remember their surname. In those days, Coia's cafe was on the corner of Duke Street and Millerston Road. Their ice cream was great too. I attended the old Whitehill School and walked along that section of Duke Street daily. My mother shopped in McDougall's butchers and Agnew's fish shop. Some of my clothes were bought from Grafton's and wool etc was bought from Livingstone's at the corner of Duke Street and Whitevale Street. I would buy used comics from Cook's and return them to buy another. My father worked for the Corporation Cleansing Department in Haghill Street at Carntyne Road.

To the person who lived at 16 Gateside Street - can you remember the name of the engineering works across from Wilkie's? My friend Anne and I were trying to remember which is how I stumbled across this exciting site.

#72 - Pauline replied on the 7/02/2023 11:31:34 PM

Can anyone remember the name of the cafe in mid 1980,s -1990 in sword street run by a couple , had daughter Ann and the mother ran the cafe

#71 - jeanette replied on the 5/02/2023 12:37:18 PM

Thanks Allan. I don't remember the name 'Fleming's' but I didn't go into it very often.

#70 - Allan Woods replied on the 4/02/2023 5:20:02 PM

My next door neighbour now
deceased Dorothy Smith(Miss Smith) had a children's clothing shop in Duke Street it was a corner shop I think 60s 70s or earlier

#69 - ALLAN WATSON replied on the 29/01/2023 4:44:13 PM

Hi Jeanette, You are right about Dixon's being on the Edmund St. Dunchatten St. corner. The shop opposite was Fleming's. Hope this helps.
Allan

#68 - jeanette replied on the 20/01/2023 12:08:52 PM

Does anyone remember the name of the corner shop that was diagonally across from the newsagent (I think it was called Dixon's) at the corner of Edmund St and Dunchatten St in the 1950s and 1960s. I think it was a grocery store.

#67 - Christine Davis (Boyle) replied on the 11/01/2023 11:58:55 PM

My Dad was George from the grocery shop in Aberfeldy Street. I used to earn my pocket money helping out after school (Whitehill) on a Friday and on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I used to deliver milk up the closes. My breakfast was always a well buttered fresh roll with a thick slice of cheese and a pint of milk. When I got paid I went to Kings in Sword Street to get a remnant to make a mini skirt to wear that night to a local dance..always with a live band, or the rolarena. I remember Catherine Jacks too as somewhere to buy posh sweets for presents..loved the marzipan.

#66 - Carlos, Paul and Marcelle replied on the 27/12/2022 11:33:07 AM

We used to go to 'Duke's in Duke street W1 in the mid 60s , a fantastic modern cafe , also 'The Sands' in Bond Street was fabulously different and great place to have coffee and a cigarette!!

#65 - Raymond Main replied on the 18/12/2022 11:24:11 AM

I remember when I was younger my Mum whom was a single parent used to get my school clothes from Alan's clothes shop next to what is now the cool counter, used to go to Sutherland toy Shop at corner of Duke Street Hillfoot Street which bclecame Toymaster and Cooks toy shop at other end, went to Army and Navy stores in between to get my trainers, adidas Super Samba, Hi Tec Silver Shadow and Gola's. There was a B&D's shoe shop before Where Coias cafe is now and there was a Ladbrokes there. I remember Doigs toy shop, Presto supermarket, Peters newsagents. My Gran worked cleaning a post office that used to be beside Peters somewhere. I remember Munro the butchers and Betty who worked in there. I used to fancy her glamorous mature woman gorgeous.

#64 - Fiona Smith(Mackay) replied on the 29/11/2022 1:07:43 PM

My parents Hugh & Annie Mackay owned a newsagents 1265 Duke St next door to the post office (l think), In between Whitevale & Bluevale Street. Sold it around 1975 (to Peter). Just a wee girl then, l have many happy memories of spending weekends there, 'helping' to serve, playing out in Dennistoun, hanging around outside the chapel for the scramble!

#63 - Martin Hughes replied on the 31/10/2022 10:45:55 AM

I lived at 108 Roslea Drive in the early 60s. Almost all of the shops I remember have been mentioned in this thread so no point in me duplicating. The exception would be Doig's toyshop. I can still picture Mr Doig now; an outwardly stern man but with a kindly heart. My Mum, Catherine (Rena) Hughes used to work part time in the shop. - I remember once, when the shop had just closed for the day, myself and my pal Ian McFadyen, were being a couple of wee idiots and we were shouting through the letterbox at Mr Doig. We thought we were hysterical, especially as we thought he wouldn't know who we were.
Next day my Dad marched me round to Duke St to apologise to Mr Doig in person. I was mortified and shaking in my shoes!
Whenever I was off school (with a serious bout of 'boy-flu') Mr Doig occasionally sent my Mum round with a gift of an 'Action Man' outfit as I used to collect these. As I said, a stern man but with a kind heart.

Another man who struck fear into my heart was the dentist, Mr Whitelaw, on the first floor on the corner of Whitecraigs.

And one shop, which I haven't seen mentioned, was the sweet shop 'Lorimers' on Meadowpark St between, I think, Finlay and Garthland Drives. - Mr Lorimer wore a white coat (with the biro pen marks above the breast pocket where many times he had tried to put his pen away but missed!) - He was a grim-faced man who looked like he could have been an undertaker and he often seemed like he could have cheerfully throttled the hordes of marauding kids who swarmed into his shop to buy loose bags of Kola Cubes, Pineapple Chunks, Spanish 'Tobacco', penny carmels etc.
Again, I think he was another kindly man at heart because, just occasionally, he would crack a smile and then suddenly revert to undertaker mode as he realised he had let his guard down for a moment.

Dennistoun Palais when it became the roller-skating rink 'Rollerina'. - Skating round endlessly in an anti-clockwise direction while the DJ (I think his name was 'Dean Jeffries') played the hits of the day; discovering that I could skate every bit as well as I could dance. (As in, not at all.)

Oh, and I will mention Robb's on Whitehill St. (Interesting to see it mentioned above by Kenny Turner (#25) I vaguely remember Gordon Robb. - I used to hang about with his younger brother Stephen and was SO envious that he could just walk into the shop at any time and his Dad would chuck him a packet of crisps! (Only thing my Dad ever chucked me was a dirty look. lol.)

Thanks to everyone who has posted here; absolutely made my day to recall so many memories as though they were only yesterday. (Although they most definitely weren't!)

#62 - Joe replied on the 28/10/2022 8:27:10 PM

Anybody remember name of the posh hat shop on Duke Street near Bellgrove??

#61 - Jamesthompson528 replied on the 12/10/2022 5:02:25 PM

Dus ennybody remember a taylors shop called Joe mcgeechies who made made to measure suits ?
Jim

#60 - Janice replied on the 26/08/2022 12:20:09 AM

My mum used to work in a shop called o'gormans in Duke Street galls was just up near it. Then she worked in rs mcolls where coiascafe is now.

#59 - Robert Gray replied on the 6/03/2022 11:25:29 AM

My aunt Jean terrace worked in Doigs newsagents and toy shop in Duke Street for many many years, she was a single lady always immaculately turned out with her dark hair up heavy pale white face makeup.
Lovely lady!! I wondered if anybody has any pictures of her or the Doigs shop / street back in the early days 50s/60s etc

#58 - jeanette replied on the 19/02/2022 9:27:04 PM

To Marie
I don't understand your post. Is it a question?

#57 - Marie Reid replied on the 19/02/2022 5:51:34 PM

Name of hat shop in duke street 70s

#56 - jim burns replied on the 30/01/2022 10:57:11 PM

brought up in my grannies @ 707 duke street, moved to 580 duke st, then 16 gateside st above hughie wilkies stables, remember many of the shops mentioned, bingo hall in hillfoot st used to be dans snooker hall, spent many hours in there after dogging onslow school.

#55 - Paolo replied on the 26/01/2022 11:32:28 PM

I think the shop you are talking about is McCall's think they used to do school uniform

#54 - Eileen Hamill replied on the 25/01/2022 9:59:40 PM

We lived in Roselea Drive in the 70s and 80s. I remember Mabel's Dairy close to Meadowpark Street, Doigs, City Bakers, Peter's old dad who lived in the shop! And many more. The shop I cannot remember the name of was the men's clothes shop down near Sword st. We used to go down every week fo pay up my Dad's suit. It was near the fish van. Can anyone remember it?

#53 - Ian S replied on the 14/09/2021 1:39:46 AM

As a kid my play ground was Duke St at the bottom of Carntyne Rd. I was often sent down to get messages at McFaddens butchers,Plant St post office, 'The Co.', DaMascios Cafe or Giusti's chippy. That or to collect a box of Askits and a copy of Revallie on a Saturday morning from Kelly's paper shop. Kept me out of mischief and healthy despite having the cleansing dept. behind, Beardmores to the left and Garroways chemical works in front. Between that and the educational sight of chuckin oot time at the Netherfield on a Saturday night! Happy days??

#52 - William Grant replied on the 19/07/2021 4:37:06 PM

Great to remember all the old shops I lived in Roselea drive in the 1960 s had a job as a milk boy at frasers dairy pushing a metal barrow filled with milk and rolls up Whitehill street to Craigpark drive in all weathers for a £1 a week happy days

#51 - Neil S replied on the 1/07/2021 10:58:50 PM

The Rendezvous Cafe was only ever known as Toni's. The family name was Togneri. My brother's duty when we returned from Church and Sunday School was to take the Tupperware container to Toni's to be filled with ice-cream.

Miss Masons, sisters, was the newsagents close to Toni's. McCandlish was the fruiterers. Just east of Whitevale Street was Mr James', a traditional sweet shop. McMillan's the Butchers was more or less next door. Doigs was another heaven. Hornby Railways and Airfix kits.

I detest fast food. The first I can remember was a KFC, on Duke Street, just west of Whitehall Street. There was a baker's in Millerston Street, possibly Bluevale Street, that made rolls late at night. If my uncle was in Glasgow, he always purchased a supply before heading back to Edinburgh.

#50 - Ian stevenson replied on the 14/05/2021 12:04:54 AM

Does anyone remember the chippy in Appin Road, they made great fritters

#49 - Elaine replied on the 27/04/2021 10:02:16 AM

I used to live in Annbank Street and remember Hhe Rendezvous cafe Catherine Jack sweet shop which sold amazing home made tablet and further along was Semple music shop which sold pianos and all sorts of musical instruments as well as records. My mother's best friend worked there Ann Leckie

#48 - Malcolm Ogg replied on the 20/04/2021 11:42:20 AM

As a wee boy I used to live at 511 Duke Street in the late 1950s early 60s. There was a bakers shop a few doors along from the close. They had a pie making machine in the shop window and you could watch the scotch pies being made by hand. I used to go to Cooks to get replacement strings for my yoyo.

#47 - Paolo replied on the 11/04/2021 3:36:51 PM

Lots of memories with these shops I remember mr doig, my gran always used to get me a Mars bar and a packet of crisps, does anyone remember George's fruit shop, masons the butchers which is still there though I believe David mason has passed away. There used to be Norman holmes opticians. I stayed in Finlay drive right across from st denis school and a remember the paper shop which was owned by an Asian guy that was called tony then Margaret and Ian took that over from him. I remember the other shop in garthland drive being briefly run by an American Italian guy early 80s. Used to love going to Alexander park as a kid and going for an ice cream at crolla

#46 - John kennedy replied on the 24/01/2021 1:33:57 PM

My dad owned the newsagent shop in Bluevale st at the corner of Glenlyon st

#45 - carol mannion replied on the 30/12/2020 12:27:47 PM

...hi I'd like to reply to one of the posts mentioning Joe Mulholland Newsagents as my grandparents owned a shop on Royston Hill and they were called Mulholland

#44 - Janette Brownlie replied on the 30/12/2020 12:25:28 PM

does anybody know of a fish and chip shop in Duke street near Glenpark street Dennistoun in the sixties the proprietors names were Frank and Margaret can't remember their surname

#43 - Derek Comrie replied on the 22/11/2020 11:32:41 PM

The sweet shop next to the hat shop at the top of Bellgrove was called HOME MADE SWEETS it was originally down at the Hospital but moved up to that position in 1972

#42 - Mary Berry replied on the 22/11/2020 3:47:26 PM

Does anyone remember Duncan Brownlee (Bakers) of 629 Duke Street in 1939 or any of the staff at that time?

#41 - JDK replied on the 8/11/2020 12:13:39 PM

I think the street your talking about is Hillfoot St, the was also a KFC were coias is now .

#40 - The Mentalist replied on the 19/08/2020 11:56:58 AM

Frank, you've named every shop of my childhood. :)

#39 - Frank replied on the 17/08/2020 11:26:33 PM

As a kid in the 70s I washed cars for some of the shops. Doigs toys,Gardner Cherry butcher McRae fruit shop Doigs tour bus garage,Livingston's furniture and baby, Birells sweet shop Munro chemist, McCutcheon chemist,
The Aquarium,Clydesdale bank, also there was a posh Ladies shop Miss Higneys , Cooks the book shop, 1 of 2 the other at the start of Cumbernauld road. I could go on but yep fond memories and hard times too. Proud Dennistonian!

#38 - R replied on the 8/08/2020 9:20:21 AM

Appin road across from the Parade and Duke Street, in between two tenement blocks was a shop called Zia General Store, 7 Appin Road. My father and mother owned it . A tiny wee shop. I worked there as a child and as it got dark I could see people going out on the town, across the road was an Italian ice cream place , morning times I would look down the hill and it looked like place to go ....

#37 - Alison Waters replied on the 4/08/2020 11:21:36 AM

I remember Blair's newsagent. Laura we went to school together. My maiden name is Bruin.

#36 - jeanette replied on the 19/07/2020 8:09:54 AM

Actually, I don't think the shop was on Hill St. I think maybe the street was called Hillview St. Not far from the old Dennistoun Palais anyway----and I think the shop was a first name. Possibly Miss Ann's but I could be wrong I had a friend called Ann who worked there so I may be getting mixed up.

#35 - jeanette replied on the 18/07/2020 5:17:59 PM

There was another ladies clothes shop called Miss something I think. I don't think it was Miss Higney's. I think it was near Hill St on Duke St. Anyone remember the name of this one. I think it sold lingerie as well as jumpers, blouses etc.

#34 - Fiona Cameron replied on the 18/07/2020 10:49:26 AM

Great to read about all the shops I remember! I was brought up in Garthland Drive, and my grannie lived at the bottom of Whitehill Street. The Frasers who owned the dairy on Whitehill Street lived in the next close to us. I remember a lot of the shops on Duke Street - McCandlish's greengrocers, Dick's licensed grocers, Stewarts the chemist, McCutcheon's (another chemist), a fish shop the name of which I can't remember (only that the smell of it has meant I can't eat fish to this day!), a very smart ladies' clothing shop called Miss Higney's. Dennistoun was really excellent for shopping in those days!

#33 - Laura Wigglesworth (nee:Blair) replied on the 20/06/2020 10:02:14 AM

My dad owned the newsagents at the corner of Meadowpark Street and Garthland Drive in the 70s/early 80s (Blair's). Before that is was owned by my aunt and uncle - Jamieson's. I learned to count, serving in the shop so if you came in, there's a good chance you were served by me ??

#32 - Peter O'Rourke replied on the 11/06/2020 12:20:38 PM

Having a wee discussion googled but not having much joy ,anyone name the video shops on Duke st 80s 90s

#31 - Colin replied on the 28/04/2020 4:30:25 PM

Hi all

There is an article from Vintage News Daily that has street photos from Dennistoun in 1974, which includes a number of shops.

I don't think that the forum allows links to be sent but you should be able to search for this and see the article:

Amazing Vintage Photographs Capture Street Scenes of Dennistoun, Glasgow in 1974

Hope it's of interest

Colin

#30 - Colin replied on the 23/04/2020 3:28:47 PM

In the early 1950s my grandpa had a newsagent / tobacconist shop somewhere around 380 Duke Street. It had a little 'lending library' in it. I'm not sure how that worked - if you just took a book that you fancied or if you had to borrow it like in a library.

His name was Thomas Melvin but the shop closed down around 1955 - 57.

#29 - Anne McMonagle replied on the 12/10/2019 12:40:08 AM

We used to stay on Ingleby Dr then Whitehill St, on the corner with Roslea Dr.. I remember Fine Fare, The Hot Plate, the mini Market was just across the road from us! I remember Blairs shop aswell from when we stayed in Ingleby Dr

#28 - Ann replied on the 6/10/2019 10:08:28 AM

What about George's on the corner of Coventry drive he gave tick to everyone and everybody could use his phone and also Frank's the paper shop he had a window like nowhere else you could pick your sweeties from the window and then there was Jessie's in roebank St she had a club that we all saved our pennies for Xmas not forgetting the roebank cafe that Joe and Marie ran and totally made all us young ones at that time feel we had some where to hang out

#27 - BA replied on the 20/09/2019 10:35:46 AM

I left Sword Street when I was eleven years old (Mid 70's) due to some of the closes being condemned due to them sinking and moved to the drives and hated it, CM was so right when he said the street had most things and when it didn't Duke Street did, the street was a community where we all helped each other as we all had very little, happy days in the eyes of a kid. lots of great families which I had many friends from and still see from time to time,a community spirit lost and we will never see the like of ever again.

#26 - Cam Mc replied on the 18/09/2019 10:37:20 AM

One for Sword St where I grew up.

The Rendezvous Cafe sold Ice cream probably the best in Glasgow, people travelled by car to buy it. Made by an Italian family. Tony made it and had glasses about an inch thick. Don't know what happened to him but he made the best Ice Creams ever. The recipe probably lost. They had a family at Roselea Drive maybe Jac and his sister can resurrect it?

If you wanted you could never leave Sword St. You could get everything there.

Clothes shop at the top where the cafe thingy is now, then further down a Galbraiths(?) which sold cold meats. then there was a fruit shop owned by Joe Miller of Aberdeen and Celtic FC fame dad also called Joe. Really nice family too, and I'm a blue nose btw.

Next to that Jimmy Lothians Butchers shop where my mother would send me to get butcher meat and usually got it wrong.

There opened up an excellent Indian restaurant in the 80's short-lived that didn't have a licence to sell booze but was delicious. Previously it was a cafe then a hairdresser where my late mother took me for my first haircut, I thought they were amputating a limb.

Past the lane next to 144 was a second-hand shop in the '70s selling second-hand clothes and shoes. There was a bicycle repair shop next down that converted to be a plumbers office then later a Cafe in the 90's I remember the owner of this cafe came down when the Fire brigade and the police had cordoned it off due to a gas leak, this mug showed up smoking a fag FFS. The Fire Brigade wasn't too happy. The shops further down were the hairdressers my mother used to got to and newsagents. The shop on the corner was a fishing shop that sold fishing tackle, early to late 70's This is now a house.

Straight across from the fishing shop in Sword St was a newsagents/grocers I knew as a kid called Charlies. Charlie was an America (possibly Canadian guy) who ran the shop. He was the approx late twenties, early thirties in the early 70's so he would be about late 70's early 80's now in age. Hope you're still going mate, Charlie, he had a baseball bat behind the counter if anyone messed with him. He was only there for a few years may be left around 1977. Further up toward Duke st was a Remnant Kings was there for years. Past that a wee Italian greasy spoon opened up. They sold brilliant chips. The at the top the previously mentioned Rendezvous Cafe. Happy memories from Sword Street 1970 to 1980's

CM

#25 - Kenny Turner replied on the 11/09/2019 12:57:15 AM

First band I gigged with was 'Jaspa', and the drummer of that band was Gordon Robb*, his faither owned 'Robb's' newsagent at bottom right of Whitehill St.
*Gordon's still gigging (and so am I)
Gazelle Cafe mentioned already, Cook's, at gardens at bottom Craigpark already mentioned, Rendezvous Cafe (Yes, best ice cream of all time, monster wafers with ice cream slabbed on; breathtaking!) Indeed, the owners were people of few words, wore white dust-coat 'uniforms', collar and tie, rarely smiled. "No come back-a - no tobacco!" when we tried to buy a single-tipped..

I had 2 x pals lived in Annbank St - Lachie McFarlane and Stuart (Susie) Gray - both now in England. I'm fairly positive there was a quite glorious confectionery shop in between Annbank St and Bellgrove St, yes, defo.
Let me think now; yes, a row of Insurance buildings in Annfield Pl: my class-mate, Graham Nicol, lived in the house on corner of Annfield Pl and Craigpark.

Going east along Duke St we have 'Whitehill Dental Care' which used to be up a close (1-up, door on right, ring bell) and latterly has a fancy-dan entrance with equally fancy-dan reception area at street-level. I've attended this dentist since when it was a comely wee entrance up a close. I tell folk that due to my many years of dental work (from eating far too many sweets) that it was me who paid for that fancy-dan reception area..
I should say that it's a great dentist and the reception staff in the fancy-dan reception area are professional, efficient and friendly - top-class girls!

I'm also confident that a class-mate of my brother's, Roberto Polirri was the son of the owner of either a) the Mini-Market, Whitehill St, or b) another 'Mini-Market' on corner Meadowpark St and Finlay Dv.
Finlay Dv - Ian Jarvis lived here; he was the other guitarist in 'Jaspa'. Ian lives in London now. Further up 'the drives' to Craigpark St and this is where Colin Stewart lived, bass-player with Jaspa. Colin lives in Stepps. That leaves only myself (guitar) and Kenny Sloane (Lead vocalist, charismatic front-man): I was from the Gallowgate, I live in Paisley now (for my sins). Kenny Sloane was from Ruchazie, gigged most of his adult life, too, before moving to Hamilton. Kenny passed around 2012-2013.

Nice post, James Mc. - thank you

#24 - Robert replied on the 1/07/2019 8:38:39 PM

I remember the cafe in Bellfield Street, It was there when I was a kid ( I'm 57 now ) and was called The Gazelle.

#23 - Mary replied on the 22/06/2019 10:50:19 PM

I remember bunking off school to see Dennis Waterman open the Fine Fare and did some work experience there too.

#22 - Tony replied on the 20/06/2019 10:39:41 PM

Does anyone remember the name of the chippy at the bottom of Whitehill St before it was Peres eats I'm thinking it was the golden fry but not sure

#21 - Cole replied on the 16/06/2019 11:44:44 AM

Does anyone remember the cafe on bell field street? It's not an Indian take away . I remember it being a cafe in the 90's ... not sure how long before that it had been there

#20 - texscot50 replied on the 2/06/2019 10:52:44 AM

Lived on Glenpark St. 50s and 60s went to Joe Mulholland newsagents and Kates Diary. Dans sweetie shop, Joes for rolls and Nans fruit shop

#19 - The Mentalist replied on the 24/04/2019 9:37:58 AM

I remember the shops on Alexandra Park Street before they were demolished for the widening of the road. There was a wool shop and across the road was the Golfhill Café.

#18 - m 836134 replied on the 23/04/2019 6:12:45 PM

record shop was bruces

#17 - Hello replied on the 18/04/2019 1:34:22 PM

Does anyone remember the old sweetie shop Cumbernauld road just before Duke street. Used to go in after swimming whitevale baths

#16 - Ian replied on the 9/02/2019 4:59:12 PM

Doreen, the sweet shop was 'Catherine Jacks.'

#15 - Doreen replied on the 9/02/2019 11:17:00 AM

There was also a hat and glove shop across from the post office. Got a ludicrous orange trilby in the sale and loved it. A home made sweetie shop too... a grain store further along. The barbers that was near the Shelter Charity shop..so many. Sad to see so many local businesses shut down because of supermarkets and bigger shops.

#14 - joe Mc Dermott replied on the 14/01/2019 8:44:41 PM

this is for Irene Robertson did you live just across from the old post office on duke st I cant remember the name of the st the Variety bar was just round the corner cheers

#13 - Irene Robertson replied on the 9/01/2019 8:23:01 PM

There was a lovely baby clothes shop on Duke st called Little Folk.... the window displays were lovely and changed every week.. they did Italian knitwear for children and lovely hats...there was another shop very old fashioned sold childrens clothes too at Whitevale st right on the corner, cant remember the name...Along the onther end at Bellgrove was a house factors where you paid your rent and waited a big queue to do it... Blacks dairy still there today next to it in Bellgrove....The Rendevous cafe at Sword st was back in time.. and run by a strange wee man who had a daughter with some type of disability who helped out serving.... down from the cafe in Sword st was Remnant Kings and I got my material in there for a few weddings to have dresses made... The was another cafe in I think Bathgate st...we all used to go to in the 60s but the name escapes me..Munros butchers and other great butchers in Duke st...nice shops at one time. and a pleasure to shop there... I remember the Palais dance hall ,it was beauiful inside with stars all over the ceiling. and a lovely night club downstairs that no one seemed to go to . I thought it was beautiful all blue hidden lighting and white metal furniture on a verandah. very romantic ..... then it turned into a roller skating rink then a supermarket sadly......no gone...........in the same street was a tailor think it was something Dick. and he made suits for the stars.. one being Sean Connery ... it had such a great name for a tiny shop at that time.........Up the same street I think was Russells shop that sold loads of things like formica.. paint etc..

#12 - The Mentalist replied on the 1/08/2017 9:42:37 AM

I remember the fruit shop in Duke Street that has a resident grumpy cat. There was also Galls, Birrells and Doigs which was a newsagents that sold the wee paints for model making. I remember going to the Aquarium at lunchtime which was around the area where JRs Hair Salon now is. There was Beveridge Brothers and a whole host of pubs. I remember Coias when it was a proper café. Tony's Café and that glorious ice cream. Fine Fare seemed huge at the time. And there was also loads of banks.

#11 - Alan replied on the 31/07/2017 3:20:05 AM

Ginos the ice cream /milk bar, opposite Kennyhill school.he also had a small shop actually in the park by the water fountain along from the venue where players acted and entertained.

#10 - km replied on the 31/07/2017 12:07:19 AM

there was a shop on Hillfoot Street, but you walked through a close to get to it and they made sweets. Tablet and the like. Anyone else remember that?

#9 - Paul replied on the 26/07/2017 3:02:20 PM

Not forgetting "Gerrys" - Whitehill street now Londis.

#8 - Alan replied on the 25/07/2017 10:06:18 AM

George the grocery shop in Aberfeldy St and opposite Mays the stationery shop and doctors surgery next door.

#7 - Iain Robertson replied on the 25/07/2017 1:37:17 AM

I lived in 3 Whitehill street in the fifties early sixties above the butchers. I understand we may have been the first close to have a gate to stop the Dennistoun Pally boys ducking in the close to relieve themselves.

There was Hacketts the cobbler and the snooker hall in Hillfoot st, there was a cycle shop crn Roselea Dr and Whitehill. Perth the cleaners were # 6 Whitehill? and opposite them was Rex the cleaners beside the fish & chip shop.

There was also a men's outfitters crn Garfield & Duke st with a pub on the opposite crn.

Apologies if I have erred it has been a long time.

Iain Robertson
A.K.L. N.Z.

#6 - James Mc replied on the 23/07/2017 12:47:15 PM

Thanks for all the responses, glad to see there's a few here from the old days.

"J Cook." - yes that was the name of the comic shop. I remember my mother being very impressed with them when they refused to sell me glue for my latest model plane - she took me back down to get it for me.

And the red Army & Navy stores beside it, I'd forgotten all about that shop - only ever went in to buy black sannies for school.

Sutherlands became a ToyMaster (or else joined the franchise, not sure which) before it finally shut down. I remember all through the 70s and early 80s their window had little things bouncing on springs up and down. Loved it. Was sorry to see it go.

Farther up Hillfoot St there was a bingo hall, you went into what looked like a normal close, and it opened out into a huge underground bingo hall.

Loved the City Bakeries, used to buy a buttered roll in there and get a banana from the fruit shop to make a banana buttie.

For some reason I though the record shop was called Dougies, not Tam's. Maybe a different owner at a different time. You'd buy a record in there and they'd put it in a carrier bag with "I found it at Dougies" on the side. I might have the name wrong, it was a long time ago.

On Duke Street I also remember the TSB and the Clydesdale Banks.

Agree about the Rendezvous - it would have done really well now with all the classy eateries around. I remember the Roselea Cafe, I seem to remember we called it Aldos Cafe, but I might be mistaken.

Another one I meant to write about in the original message was the black ornate Chemists at the corner of Armadale and Duke St. I used to love the windows, which were stained glass.

Thanks for reminding me of all this.

#5 - Ian replied on the 23/07/2017 12:32:41 AM

Yes, there was Cooks bookstore, where you also got all the american comics like Superman etc. There was also another Cooks on Cumbernauld Rd at one time. Must have been near Roslea cafe.
There was Doigs toyshop, near Meadowpark St. Mcraes Fruit shop. I also remember the Army/Navy next to Cooks.
Le Rendezvous, as someone mentioned. Never tasted another Ice Cream even close to it! Birrells sweet shop! City bakeries, with the Tea room in the back.
Duke St used to be a great place.

#4 - Davy replied on the 22/07/2017 3:56:00 PM

I can remember most of these. I recall a DIY shop where Coia's is with an entrance on both Duke St and Whitehill St. Other notable shops, J Cook book shop where you could take a boo back and get a discount on your next one. THis was the shop at the other end of the block from Sutherlands toy shop i.e at the gardens at the bottom of Craigpark. There was an army navy shop between there are Sutherlands where i bought my Doc Martens. I remember a City Bakeries and a record shop (Tam's?) across from Peter's on Duke St. Further along near Meadowpark St there was Blair's newsagent and across from there an aquarium. At the Duke St/ Cumbernauld Road junction there was Roselea cafe who had the first ever video arcade game in Dennistoun (space invaders, a whole load of these were added to shops all over Dennistoun soon after) and a sports goods shop next door that doubled as an old coin dealer. However,as a young boy he jewel in Duke Street's crown was The Rendevous Cafe at the corner of Sword Steet, a beautiful old Italian cafe with the best ice cream I have ever tasted.

Other shops I remember, tiny little store on Onslow Dr near the corner of Cumbernauld Road, a larger newspaper shop I delivered for at that very corner,shop at corner of Finlay Drive and Meadowpark Street now converted into a house and Celino's being on a corner site and selling only fruit although I don't recall ever seeing anyone in it.

#3 - R.P. replied on the 22/07/2017 11:04:56 AM

Am sure the shop you are thinking of was called Cook's. Also recall at other side of street at the crossing was Masons papershop.

#2 - Dennistonian replied on the 22/07/2017 8:28:37 AM

What a great message. My family and I would come down from Royston to Duke Street to pay our telly rental at 'Radio Rentals'. We used to also go into the toy shop at Tibo and also next door to the wee shop to buy Ritchie Richie and Wendy the Witch comics. Anyone know what it was called? We also shopped in fine fare.

#1 - Nat replied on the 22/07/2017 8:27:51 AM

I loved Sutherlands, was that not the wee toy shop at the end, was there a Toy Master there at one point as well? I remember getting dragged to Fine Fare on many occassions, loved running up and down the side stairs though!

You can reply to the post Old Shops etc by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin