9 Glenfield Street, Dennistoun

Irene Fuller nee Brown posted on the 28/07/2017 11:33:04 PM

I am looking for pics of Glenfield Street, Alexandra Parade at Castle Street, also Castle Street, and any pics of round about that area. I was brought up in Glenfield Street. Happy times. Thank you.

#1 - Ellen Hunter replied on the 29/10/2019 5:04:24 PM

I was born at 37 Glenfield Street in 1953 and lived there till I was 13. My maiden name is Sallans, & my Grandparents lived across the back from us in James Orr St. I went to Golfhill then Whitehill Senior Secondary & I now live in California, but I have all my Mum's old pictures, I will take a look and see what I can find.

#2 - Lesley Brown replied on the 8/01/2020 2:26:57 AM

I don't think I remember you, Irene, but do remember Ellen Sallans and her Mother. My maiden name is Smith and I lived in Warnock Street. I hope you're successful and contact your friends.

#3 - Alan replied on the 8/01/2020 10:07:56 AM

Trying to contact Hugh Primrose who lived in Duke St and Staffa St..

#4 - Lesley Brown replied on the 8/01/2020 9:44:44 PM

Hi, Irene. It was late last night when I found and replied to your post. I have a book of photographs called, "Old Townhead's a Goner". There are photographs of Castle Street and one of Castle Street from Alexandra Parade. There are also photographs of the surrounding area. Have you seen the photograph of "The Gizzi Man" in Warnock Street. It's easily available on the internet. Lesley.

#5 - Ellen Hunter replied on the 11/01/2021 11:29:22 PM

Lesley Brown I just saw your message on here and would love to get intouch. We were good friends when we were growing up and I would love to reconnect. Let me know if you are on Facebook.

#6 - Lesley Brown replied on the 18/01/2021 1:51:22 PM

Hi, Ellen. It was a lovely surprise to find your message. I hope you are well. I'd love to hear from you. Unfortunately, I am a complete technophobe and only have an e-mail address. Could we use e-mail to contact each other, please? Sincerely, Lesley.

#7 - Lesley replied on the 19/01/2021 10:28:33 PM

Hello, Ellen. If you are agreeable to contacting me by e-mail, I'll post the address here for you. I should have mentioned this in the previous post. Lesley

#8 - David Harriden replied on the 28/01/2022 10:18:28 AM

Hello everyone. My mother was born in Glenfield Street in in 1931and out of interest I was searching to see if the street still existed (Rumour has it it was all demolished) and came across this website. My mother's name is Margaret and her maiden name is Mills. She lived with her widowed mother Janet and older brother Bill at 23 Glenfield Street. My mother remembers Bill was pals with a boy with the surname Sallans, and she too went to Golfhill. My mother's best friend at the time was Betty McGregor. She has described to me the back close, communal wash house, the steamie, and the "luxury" of having your own toilet in the flat.

#9 - Lesley replied on the 1/02/2022 10:34:47 PM

Hello, David. A couple of weeks ago, for the first time in over a decade, I decided to visit Glenfield Street and Warnock Street. The rumour is true. Not only have the tenements been demolished, but also the building that housed Pathology Department and the adjoining wall. It's now a picnic area, I assume for staff of the Royal Infirmary. The chimney in Warnock Street and the Infirmary's incinerators have also been demolished and the area is now a car park. If you haven't done so already, you can view the photograph of Warnock Street on the internet (Gizzi photograph Townhead) to let you see at least part of the area where your mother was born. Lesley

#10 - Ellen Hunter replied on the 11/02/2022 5:19:16 PM

Lesley Brown, I just saw your message and would love to reconnect. I am in touch with Robert Brawley who lived in Glenfield Street and Warnock Street. My email is cruisinellen@yahoo.com.

#11 - Liz Macwilliam (nee Moffat) replied on the 9/08/2022 8:09:52 PM

Hi all, was wondering if anyone out there remembers my brother Ian Moffat & his wife Fay Downie who lived in Glenfield Street in the early sixties. They often talk about the area and neighbours & would be a great surprise to them if someone got in touch, cheers, Liz

#12 - Liz Macmillan replied on the 15/09/2023 9:36:49 PM

I lived next door to them. I called them Uncle Ian & Aunty Fay. Audrey was a flower girl at my wedding, I went back to Scotland for Audrey's wedding, (I've live in California since 1987) Last time I saw them was my mothers funeral in 2013. I know they live in Bishopbriggs, Please give them my love, I have such happy memories with them.

#13 - David Harriden replied on the 16/09/2023 1:10:16 AM

Hi David. I was born in Glenfield Street in 1953 and my maiden name was Sallans. My Dad's family lived in James Orr Street. My Dad Was Andrew (Andy) born in 1924 and his brother Harry was born in 1923. He also had twin sisters Alice and Jane. One of them must have been friends with your uncle, as it is such an unusual name. We all went to Golfhill as did my Grandad.

#14 - Ellen Hunter replied on the 18/09/2023 10:21:03 AM

I just realized that the last 2 posts I made had the wrong name on them. Liz McWilliam and David Harriden it was me responding to your posts.

You can reply to the post 9 Glenfield Street, Dennistoun by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin