Basement coal chute

Chris Leslie posted on the 1/11/2017 10:17:10 AM

Hello - has anyone converted their basement and got 'rid' of the coal chute? I am thinking of getting rid of ours and letting in some air somehow also as its very damp with no windows...

any advice or thoughts welcome

cheers

#1 - CV3V replied on the 10/11/2017 1:38:48 PM

You don't say if in tenement or a house? If in a tenement then you need to be extremely careful with any work that gets done - you may see that No.7 Firpark Terrace no longer exists, a resident on the ground floor decided to convert the basement and undermined the entire tenement which then had to be demolished. Some of the owners didn't have buildings insurance and lost the lot, and the site now sits vacant due to ownership issues.

#2 - The Mentalist replied on the 10/11/2017 2:08:43 PM

I remember that (I think). Wasn't that years ago?

#3 - CV3V replied on the 10/11/2017 4:58:10 PM

was about 2004, the resident wanted to use the space for a gym (but i heard different stories), dug into the basement and undermined the foundations. Tenements are notorious for a lack of proper foundations. When you look around areas with tenements you will see a lot of gable ended buildings which probably didnt start out that way!

Any building alterations should be ran past the council building officer, a building warrant might be needed, also need to check title deeds.

#4 - Tom B replied on the 15/11/2017 1:29:52 PM

Hi Chris, I wouldn't mind doing a similar job with my basement. If you get anywhere with this grateful if you could post back with any info.

#5 - George Welsh replied on the 12/07/2020 7:58:18 PM

I used to live at number 7 35 years ago and saddened to hear it's gone. Never new a famous artist lived in the street!

You can reply to the post Basement coal chute by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin