Factors

Kelly McFadden posted on the 29/08/2018 11:08:16 PM

I am looking to replace our current factors due to high costs and poor service - can anyone recommend companies? Unfortunately Milnbank are not taking on new properties.

#1 - M replied on the 2/09/2018 2:43:06 PM

My close is self factored and to be honest it is pretty good. Whenever there's a problem someone takes it upon themselves to get a few quotes and they get paid out the fund.

We don't pay in that much per month because there is already a fair bit of cash saved up in it but if you were starting, if you have 8 houses, try 30 quid a month and within 2 yr you can probably lower it as you will likely find you are putting in more than is being spent.

To ditch the factor and start a fund you just need to get a majority of owners to agree.

Potential costs to think about: Close lighting bill, yearly roof inspection and repairs, secure door entry maintenance, repainting, cleaning. If your building is in good shape I can highly recommend it, it's really worked out well for us.

#2 - Frank Plowright replied on the 4/09/2018 5:36:20 PM

If you have people willing to put in the time and a close where six out of eight owners are willing to self-factor and pay into a communal bank account, it's likely you'll come out ahead in financial terms. However, if there is a large job needed it'll take up your time. It is very dependent on the nature of other people owning properties in your close. Mine has self-factored for over 20 years now, and problems with other owners have been negligible, but absentee owners can be awkward//

You can reply to the post Factors by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin