Utilities

Mort posted on the 31/10/2018 1:33:50 PM

Folks,

Apologies for the intrusion but do you find the cost of heating your big old tenement kind of crazy these days?

I moved into a new flat last month and gas till now after I put in the reading was Ł185 and that's me being mindful with it. Seems a crazy amount fir a month and a half. It is with Scottish Power and I dint think they are the cheapest.

Anyone any recommendations to get this down or any providers you'd recommend?

Thanks.

#1 - CV3V replied on the 31/10/2018 7:26:09 PM

My experience of this has been; in a large one bed tenement i was paying £65 per month for gas and electric. Now in a 3 bed tenement and currently paying £85 per month. In either case i wasn't sitting at home with the jacket on. I'd recommend Moneysavingexpert cheap energy club. Currently with EDF, got a recent email telling me Scottish Gas were now the cheapest for my case.

Depends on the position of your flat too, top floor on a gable end is a lot colder than a middle flat, also east/west facing versus north. I used to see my neighbours with their windows open whilst i had the heating on.

#2 - Mort replied on the 31/10/2018 10:26:09 PM

This occurred between 16th Sep and 30th Oct. That figure for gas (£185) just seems an awful lot. I just can't get my head round that figure. Ground floor 2 bed tenement. I work - have the eating on twice a day and don't mind kicking about with layers on unless the wee one is staying at mine. Just seems like a lot - nearly 4000 units of gas. I wonder if a fault somewhere can cause you to use more? Need to look into it as it's only going to get colder.

#3 - wullie replied on the 2/11/2018 8:40:37 AM

Not so long ago on the tv, there was an incident where people had very large gas bills. After getting some help
it was found they had an old meter that measured gas in cubic feet but the gas provider was charging them for
cubic meters,might be worth checking out.

#4 - Nat replied on the 7/11/2018 4:41:11 PM

I'm with SSE Hydro and highly recommend. In a large 2 bed tenement I'm £24 gas and £22 electricity. I have a smart meter and it tends to be sitting about the 1 mark if I've had the heating on- and I have terrible double glazed windows!

#5 - anon replied on the 12/11/2018 9:32:48 PM

Ensure that the correct opening meter reading and meter serial number was used to bill you and take some daily meter readings for a couple of days to keep track. Using 4000 kWh in 6 weeks would require a concerted effort of using lots of heating and hot water.
Scottish Power are one of the more expensive suppliers so suggest you switch once you've figured out what's going on with your gas consumption.

You can reply to the post Utilities by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin