DennistounOnline
Community News, Views & Information

Fir Park

Kate Clayton posted on the 31/03/2019 4:54:25 PM

Does anyone know about this bit of neglected land with a sign that says Fir Park, next to firpark terrace.....Is it a community initiative.?
I am a local artist who is interested in proposing a piece of artwork for this space as part of GI next year.

4 Replies :

#1 - CV3V replied on the 1/04/2019 2:06:44 PM

The majority of Fir Park is owned and maintained by the council, they cut the grass but that's about it. The farthest north area is privately owned (dont know who by), but its technically outside the park area. A small strip of the park adjacent to Firpark Terrace is owned by the tenement there (likewise the embankment along Ark Lane is owned by the tenements (the upper half of the slope).

The embankment on Ark Lane used have a stone retaining wall along the middle, and Firpark Terrace was much wider. The wall was unstable and had to be knocked down and the slope formed instead, only one small bit remains at the Firpark Terrace / Ark Lane junction.

Part of the park used to be a local quarry, you can still the rock sticking out. Another part of the park used to have tenements on it (you can seem on historic maps). Then someone told me the park used to have a bandstand at some point.

In terms of community benefits etc. you could also approach the developer for the Golfhill Primary School and see it they can assist. The developer had talked about using Fir Park as a play park as compensation for the loss of playing field, but the cash goes to Sport Scotland i think.

Rennie McKintosh used to live on Firpark Terrace, which may also give you some inspiration.

#2 - Kate clayton replied on the 2/04/2019 7:52:39 PM

Hi, thanks so much for this detailed response. Are you referring to the rounded mounds with exposed brickwork as the former quarry?
I view them as burial mounds outside of the Necropolis perimeter wall !
There doesn't seem to be much work going on at the school, do you think it's going ahead?

#3 - The Mentalist replied on the 3/04/2019 11:17:14 AM

I remember when the tenements fell down, I was at St Denis's at the time.

#4 - CV3V replied on the 4/04/2019 5:17:42 PM

There is a planning application lodged for the school and playing fields, its taken a long time to be approved, you can find it on council planning portal - there will be new flats the length of Firpark Street (playing fields side).

I know the mounds you mean, not sure about those (they did things like that in the town i grow up in). There is the exposed rock next to the road, near Firpark Terrace, its getting more and more covered in vegetation - would be nice to see it exposed again.

You can reply to the post Fir Park by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin