Blackhill locks and incline and Monkland canal

Alan posted on the 25/02/2021 2:08:49 AM

Is there anyone still standing who remembers these engineering marvels at the back of Alexandra park ? they were built to transport coal and iron ore, I remember the locks were in a dilapidated state in the fifties I think the incline was well gone by then Rail transport did away with the need for a canal, however, they were in use for sixty years or so.

#8 - Tarzan-Bridge replied on the 2/06/2021 7:48:21 PM

Remember it so well, crossed it every day to go to Riddrie School. Didn't realise just how much of an engineering feat was involved in the building of the double staired locks, one of only two sets in the UK I believe & was completely unaware of the railway that ran from the bottom basin to the top of the incline on the Riddrie side until I read Guthrie's book. The last person drowned in it (far as I know the only one) was a good friend of mine. I'd bring it back tomorrow & flood the M8

#7 - Hamilton replied on the 19/05/2021 1:04:02 PM

Thanks-I think I've solved this. The death certificate stated New Blackhill Locks as place of death but this was subsequently corrected 2 months later at a Public Inquiry to New Blackhill Junction - which is entirely different and explains how the death was caused by 'being knocked over by engine'. Age just 17.

#6 - Alan replied on the 14/05/2021 8:13:52 PM

Hi the locks were still working until the 1950s the incline however had ceased to operate around 1897 .

#5 - Hamilton replied on the 14/05/2021 7:43:38 PM

I'm puzzled by this. I can't fathom how my ancestor met his death at these locks in 1897 if they ceased in 1887. Knocked down by an engine was the verdict of the inquiry.

#4 - Hamilton replied on the 13/05/2021 10:17:26 AM

An ancestor of mine died while working at Blackhill Locks in July 1897. Despite being recorded as a railway accident, I can find no mention of it in the Glasgow Herald at the time, even though it was assidious in reporting even non-fatal accidents. Anyone have any information on such fatalities at Blackhill Locks?

#3 - Alan replied on the 26/02/2021 12:33:56 AM

Hi the locks were completed in 1790 and were not used after the early 1950 s , so that's 150 years, the incline was started around 1850 to 1887 so that's 37 years , apparently, the locks were still in reasonable working order in 1954.

#2 - Alan replied on the 26/02/2021 12:28:59 AM

Hi John you can e mail me at aymnz at hotmail . com. Cheers

#1 - john replied on the 25/02/2021 10:33:48 AM

Hi Alan,
I remember the canal locks very much as you do in the late 50's and they were by that time in a dilapidated state, however I am going to attempt to attach a couple of pictures of them in happier times , I hope you enjoy them.

Take Care John

unfortunately I was unable to attach pictures to this reply I think the only way I could do this is if you sent me your email address I could send them that way . John

You can reply to the post Blackhill locks and incline and Monkland canal by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin