Alexandra Parade Primary 1971 - 1977

Alan posted on the 14/07/2023 5:42:24 PM

I loved my time at Alexandra Parade Primary School - even have fond memories of getting the belt once or twice! Mr Tait was the Head for some of the time and my favourite teacher was Miss Morrison who taught me in Primary 5, was notoriously strict, but with whom I was completely in love (unrequited!). Often wondered where she ended up. Would love to hear other memories.

#1 - Jon Ioannou replied on the 26/07/2023 10:24:26 AM

I attended Alexandra Parade from 1969-1974 and the wonderful Miss Morrison was my P7 teacher . It was a composite P6/P7 class - a great close knit group & it transpired we were her first ever teaching post ! Memories include buying her presents for her 21 st birthday ( I know - only 21 !!!) and , although she appeared strict, she had great humour & our class liked her. The previous year we had mostly been at Galloway House , where one teacher was a Robert Morrison - her brother - and from day one , we were astounded as she went round the class , detailing all our personalities & traits ! Totally never made the connection of how she knew so much about us !
I remember the classroom being at the top of the building & being bright & sunny . Like you, I'd love to know how her life & career developed .

#2 - David Hornsby replied on the 23/08/2023 11:41:33 PM

I attended AP between 1959 and 1965, a great time to be growing up with all kids playing out rather than being distracted by 'devices' of one sort or another. There were very, very few overweight kids back then-most covered a lot of ground during the day, running around, playing games with other kids. Most walked to school rather than it is for many today-taken to school by parents in the car. There was still the 'wow' factor then for kids like a free gift being given away in a comic or a favourite TV show (on black and white TV!) We played games and organised our own games in the playground, swapped bubble him cards, played marbles etc. The head teacher was Mr Drummond, the sanction of choice then was 'the belt' that most boys got for anything. It was wrong of course, but we saw it then as an 'occupational hazard.' My favourite teacher was Mrs McFarlane. We went to Galloway House in the last year at the school, but for me it was a less than happy experience! Finished at Xmas 1965, starting in Jan.1966 at Whitehill. The 60s was a great time for music-the Beatles for one of the great acts back then-we LIVED through it all and it was the soundtrack to our lives!

You can reply to the post Alexandra Parade Primary 1971 - 1977 by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin