Parking in Dennistoun

Nacerdine Tcheir posted on the 8/06/2018 12:58:25 PM

I stay in Golfhill drive, over the last couple of years, parking in the area has become increasingly difficult for most of the residents in the area. I spoke to quite a lot of people about this issue and they all feel frustrated and annoyed by what's going on right now. People from City Park, Royal Infirmary and other local companies in the area, park their cars in the morning and leave them until the evening before they pick them up. This is unfair, unjust and careless.

#1 - DC replied on the 9/06/2018 10:22:58 AM

It never fails to amaze me at the brass neck of some people. We live in the new builds at Dennistoun Village and quite a few selfish people park in our private car park. We shouldn't be struggling to park as we pay such a high amount for the upkeep of the road and bought a flat that came with parking!

I keep hearing talk about permits, loads of discussions but there never seems to be any action!

#2 - Onslow replied on the 11/06/2018 10:49:00 AM

CityPark, GRI and the other favourite local parking bogeymen are only a part of the problem.

On my section of Onslow Drive, between Armadale and Whitehall Street, there are 8 blocks on each side of the street. Assuming 8 flats to a block, and every Flat had 1 car, that's 128 cars. The street probably has space for half that amount.

In the 10 or so years I've lived here, the demographic of the area has changed. And while that may on the whole be a good thing, rising car ownership among residents in an area designed and built before the advent of the car is bound to cause friction.

I remember years ago, even late at night, it wasn't uncommon for there to be quite a bit of space left on the roads. Now, we're full to the gunnels with cars parked in every nook and cranny.

I understand the frustration. And I even share in it. It's annoying to drive around for ages, park miles away and humpf shopping home. But then I remember, I have no more right than anyone to park here, tenements don't come with dedicated parking. And, after all, as a car owner, I'm part of the problem, not the solution.

#3 - GA replied on the 11/06/2018 2:03:24 PM

I think there would be enough space if you took away commuters, GRI and City Park. We wouldn't and probably won't ever all be able to park within 5 feet of our front doors but that's not what most people expect or are asking for. There are spaces if they weren't being used by people that don't live here so much. The sheer volume of people parking in the area that don't live here is the main part of this problem. Evenings, weekends and holidays regularly demonstrate this on my street as well as others that I pass through in the area.

Permits work in other places and I think they would work here too. They would make things better at the very least.

I've complained to the council multiple times, written to local Councillors and reported cars blocking access to 101. Positive responses from Councillors but nothing has happened and no help at all from the council or police (even when roads are blocked and emergency vehicles would not be able to access or when cars are parked in the few places where there are lines / restrictions).

Does anyone have any other suggestions about how we can get the council to listen and take action or to get police to do something about blocked roads etc? I'd really like it if my new car didn't get bashed the way my old car did just from parking near my home.

#4 - CV3V replied on the 11/06/2018 4:24:37 PM

Dennistoun Village is a unique case, its a private road and not adopted by the council. So upkeep of the road and parking is private - the residents certainly have more right to park there. Best answer is to put up a parking barrier, same as the Firpark St development (if the fire brigade etc will allow it). When first built it was promoted as a 'gated community'.

As for the the rest of Dennistoun, having lived here for 12 years there may be some more cars in the area, but also the following has happened, all of which has reduced parking spaces in the area and forced more commuters into the area:
double yellows were added to street corners (fair enough)
Parking charges were introduced on Alexandra Parade, Duke Street and Firpark Street (the latter being 6 days per week)
Parking charges were introduced in the area around Hunter St, an area full of vacant land previously used by commuters - but the council wanted them to park in the new multi storey.
Residents parking scheme was introduced around the necropolis
Residents parking scheme was introduced around the Barras / Gallowgate
A lot of the commuter parking isnt just the GRI etc, its also city centre workers using the train from Bellgrove. So Dennistoun is getting it from all angles. I find it ironic when i see parking permits on cars parked in the area from Woodlands, and even Edinburgh. They can drive to Dennistoun and park for free all day, but we cant go park in the west end for free.

Damage to cars - I'd say about half the residents cars in my street have damage to them, usually on one of the front or back corners caused by other drivers trying to squeeze in to spaces too small. Also seen on two occasions someone bumping other cars then driving off.

#5 - WB replied on the 21/07/2018 5:43:59 PM

Just read this regarding parking.
Thought you should know that the council will not do anything to stop the parking problem in our area as they are the one's that allowed city park to advertise that any company moving to city park had free parking in surrounding area namely the streets of Denniston.

#6 - CS replied on the 7/03/2019 2:04:46 PM

I work in City Park and live Craigpark Drive and while I don't own a car, my children do. Parking has been a problem in the "drives" for many years and it seems to be getting worse. City Park facilities have the space in their car parks for around 200 cars, possibly more, but choose not to open it to workers. I find this very strange and have asked why this is the case on many occasions with no clear answer. Maybe a residents lobby of the City Park management to find out why could be the answer?

#7 - anon replied on the 7/03/2019 5:54:18 PM

It's a problem thats going to get increasingly worse. Parking charges on a sunday and the work place parking levy will encourage people to park in places like Dennistoun then get the short bus into town. Basically use it as a park n ride.
If City Park don't have the car park for workers, who do they have it for?

#8 - Anon replied on the 8/03/2019 1:33:55 PM

Parking in the area just keeps getting worse.

I would urge everyone that's frustrated to complain until we get action. Keep writing to councillors, contact City Park as well as GRI management with complaints and call 101 when roads or pavements are blocked.

It will be more difficult for them to ignore us if there's lots of complaints about the same issues.

#9 - Attendant replied on the 11/03/2019 8:34:27 PM

Adding a Dennistoun zone to this map would ease the general parking problems, the park and ride issues, and avoid the knock on effects of free Sunday parking in the city centre and the workplace parking levy:

glasgowgis.maps.arcgis.com/
apps/webappviewer/index.html?
id=c7573c30724645c7861698125682b78a

Map via glasgow.gov.uk/parking

#10 - anon replied on the 12/03/2019 5:58:21 PM

There was talk about parking permits being looked into for Dennistoun at the beginning of 2019. Worryingly, it's all gone quiet recently. Does anyone have any updates about this at all?

Local councillor wasn't very helpful last time I spoke to him relating to this.

#11 - CV3V replied on the 7/05/2019 2:42:50 PM

As per comment 10, anyone any updates on parking (permits and banning pavement parking)? there was supposed to be a council consultation starting in spring 2019, but its all been very quiet.

#12 - anon replied on the 10/05/2019 8:25:41 AM

Maybe some of the people on here who are aggravated at the parking problem could improve matters by getting rid of their cars, we have a good transport system in place (it's not perfect) but no everybody wants to sit and moan about there not being enough parking spaces - even although they are the ones making things worse with many houses having at least two cars

#13 - Anon replied on the 13/05/2019 10:56:41 PM

Wow @ comment 12. Residents should get rid of cars so commuters, hospital and city park can park here easier?? Really?? Public transport isn't great for everyone. I'd need nearly 2 hours each way to work vs 30 mins in the car.

Evenings and weekends are not as bad. Bank hols are actual alright for parking. Goes to show how much of the issue is commuters and city park. Take that away and it will instantly get better. Permits please!!

#14 - anon replied on the 20/05/2019 12:21:20 PM

what happens with the permits, if say you have a builder doing a job, or family friend coming round to visit, I dont drive so I couldn't even move my car and give the builder my permit

#15 - anon replied on the 20/05/2019 12:23:04 PM

@12 - the nature of my work means i drive over 20k miles per year, like a lot of people we need a car!

It's bizarre that residents should go without a car to allow people from everywhere else to drive in to the area and park for free! The area around Bellgrove train station is now known as Bellgrove Park and Ride, city centre workers park their cars for free then get the train in, saves on city centre parking charges.

#16 - anon replied on the 22/05/2019 4:11:49 PM

@14 - you can get (need to pay) for visitors permits from the council. In other parts of Glasgow they cost £2 for 4 hours of parking. You can buy some and then use when needed (scratch off the panel for the day in use). Its not the greatest of solutions, but its there as an option.

#17 - anon replied on the 22/05/2019 6:23:49 PM

Parking permits aren't the magic solution that a lot of people think it is, yes it might prevent workers parking their car in the area, but it wont guarantee that you will be able to park outside your house - or even in your street, also there are only a certain number of parking spaces in Dennistoun, what happens when that number is reached - do residents have to join a waiting list for a permit, or only issuing one per household

#18 - Anon replied on the 23/05/2019 12:11:55 PM

There is no magic solution. Permits would take away commuters, hospital and city park issues which would make a huge difference.

Is there any update on permits at all? Thought consultation was supposed to have started already.

#19 - anon replied on the 23/05/2019 1:03:52 PM

I really think a lot of people here are barking up the wrong tree, the streets are empty during the day whilst people from city park are at work and rammed full of cars in the evening as people who live here return to their houses. How is a permit going to help you find a space at night when the other cars will all have permits as well? Nobody has ever been able to explain this to me.

#20 - anon replied on the 24/05/2019 12:06:53 PM

The streets around my area are rammed full of cars from 0630 (GRI staff) and it starts to free up from about 1800 hours, Monday to Saturday. If i am sat in my car in the morning, in what is a dead end road i will quickly have about 3 cars driving up and turning around.

What street is it in Dennistoun that is empty during they day? I'd love to know and I'll go check it out..

In the evening there is loads of free space in my street. The whole point of permits is to give residents the priority, no more than that.

On the subject of commuter parking, a lot of these people do not care about the area. Again, in my dead end street, it is covered in litter from people throwing it out of their cars (McDonalds, water bottles, cans).

#21 - Anon replied on the 31/05/2019 1:35:15 PM

I was driving through Dennistoun at 8.50am on Thursday morning and it is worse than ever. I used to live there for years and worked at City Park but didn't realise just how bad it was as I didn't own a car at the time. But even just driving through now is a nightmare and I didn't see 1 empty spot.

Something needs to be done as I can only imagine how bad it would be if I lived there now with a car

#22 - Tom replied on the 14/06/2019 4:17:08 PM

Great news, I see a consultation has been recently announced regarding implementing an RPZ in Dennistoun (was a story in Evening times). Hopefully it can be consulted upon, agreed and implemented asap!

#23 - anon replied on the 18/06/2019 10:02:10 AM

I've asked councillors before about how long the consultation and then implementation would take, 2 - 3 yrs was the answer!

#24 - anon replied on the 4/07/2019 2:58:14 PM

I live just south of duke street, where there is no parking problems: there are plenty of parking spaces, always. I don't disagree with the option of RZP per se, but I am not happy having to pay 85 pounds a year for a parking permit. The street is always full of litter and junkies, and now I am gonna have to pay to park!? Oh, the joy!

#25 - David replied on the 4/07/2019 10:29:27 PM

Consultation letter on parking controls arrived today . I assume all residents will get one of these

#26 - Anon replied on the 5/07/2019 8:23:05 PM

I understand that it is frustrating for residents but as a city park worker and having an hour commute each way by car it's also frustrating for the likes of myself that have no option but to drive to work as public transport would mean a 2 and half hour commute and I would be financially worse off.
I have been swore at, told to move my car rather abruptly as I shouldn't be parking there and my car was keyed.
I would use a car park if there was one to use that i didn't have to pay upwards of £7 a day to use.
I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that any car that is on the road at pays road tax is by law able to park on the street and this is an issue that we are all facing it is not something that is unique to Denniston. This issue is wide spread to all parts of the country. Even the street in which I live in has the same problem. Unfortunately it's a problem of the time we live in and given that the majority of houses were built in a era before cars, there was no need to provide spaces for one car per household never mind the fact that a lot of households have multiple cars in today world.

#27 - anon replied on the 9/07/2019 4:22:47 PM

@26 i understand your comments, unfortunately the parking issues in the area do cause resentment and in some cases for good reason. Cars in the area seem to be getting constantly damaged by others bad attempts at squeezing into spaces that are too small. Cars park partially over double yellow lines - which still blocks lines of sight etc. Commuters are to blame for a lot of dropped litter in my street (drink cans, bottles etc.) and i have seen people throwing litter out their cars. Only yesterday i had to stop someone trying to squeeze into a space next to my car that they were never going to fit into, that was when i going out - and at the same time there was another car with the indicator on also wanting into my vacated space. Then there are the cars that park on the footpath, blocking it.

Similarly i have an hour commute to/from work, but when i get home i then have to drive around in circles to find a space. I have even had to give up sometimes and park in a metered bay. On Sundays the street is empty of cars.

To me, it seems the council have lost control of parking in the area and they seem to let the most basic of rules be broken. Yes it is an issue in other areas, i.e. the west end, and although people complain about the introduction of permits i dont then see anyone complain that they then want rid of them once introduced.

#28 - anon replied on the 9/07/2019 4:24:18 PM

@24 who has spare parking spaces in their area. Just wait until the hundreds of new flats are built on the meat market site with only 50% parking provision, all those other cars are going to be parked around Bellgrove.

#29 - Anon replied on the 15/07/2019 2:22:08 PM

@27
Of course it's always the commuters that try to squeeze into the parking spaces and cause problems with litter. I have personally witnessed residents pull some crazy manoeuvres too and I see rubbish dumped outside on the pavement that is not moved for weeks on end. The issues in these streets are not solely down to those who commute and personally I think that the residents should also take sum responsibility for their actions too. I get that people are frustrated but nothing gives anyone the right to verbally abuse and shout at someone who is just parking their car to go to work. This is very intimidating for a young girl by herself.
Again unfortunately this is the world we now live in. It may be inconvenient to the residents but we all have to suffer the same inconvenience when we get to our homes. Even with the introduction of permits and paid parking I don't see that it's going to make much of a difference as many people have a genuine need to drive to work so the only difference is that they will pay to park.

#30 - anon replied on the 16/07/2019 11:09:34 AM

#28 as for the new flats being built there and at 100 Finlay Dr.

ELIGIBLE RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY
An eligible residential property is a dwelling house built or redeveloped, for residential use prior to 11 February 2014.

... they are out of luck. That will be fun for them to learn

#31 - The Mentalist replied on the 16/07/2019 12:34:55 PM

Well, the new Bellgrove flats are right next to a train station, numerous buses and walking distance to town. You can also pick up a hire bike if need be.

#32 - anon replied on the 16/07/2019 8:47:38 PM

@31
you seem to be assuming all the residents will work in the city centre?

There is this consistent, strange argument that seems to assume residents of Dennistoun all work in the city centre and therefore don't need cars.

#33 - anon replied on the 16/07/2019 8:48:26 PM

@30

yes, I am aware of that condition. But that condition only applies if permits are introduced. If permits are rejected, then with all the new flats (and cars) there will be another attempt in a few years, and the cut off date could be changed.

#34 - The Mentalist replied on the 17/07/2019 12:52:06 PM

@32

So, by your logic, people who live places other than Dennistoun cannot have cars to travel to work but people who live in Dennistoun can?

#35 - anon replied on the 19/07/2019 9:21:55 AM

@Mental

Nope, where did I say that?, People seem to expect the residents of Dennistoun to give up their cars to allow others to commute into the area. If I worked in city centre i'd love to walk into work. Acknowledge that the vast majority of residents, present and future, won't be working in city centre.

Those same public transport links can bring commuters into the area can they not? Yet they drive and complain about parking costs. Change the emphasis of the discussion to those coming into the area.

At the same time the council ignores its own planning policies on parking provision for new Dennistoun developments and has been quoted as considering developments city centre to avoid their own policies. If the council want to consider the area city centre then they need to be consistent and introduce parking controls. After Golfhill and Meatmarket are developed there will hundreds of additional cars brought into the area, then residents will be screaming for permits.

#36 - The Mentalist replied on the 19/07/2019 10:58:47 AM

@35

So Dennistoun residents don't park on public streets wherever they go, they all use car parks or pay for parking. Is that what's you're saying? If you wish to have free parking right outside your house, buy a house with a driveway. By your logic, the people of Dennistoun expect commuters to give up their cars so the people of Dennistoun can park freely wherever they please in the area. It doesn't work that way ANYWHERE. This is a money generating exercise by a council on its uppers. Get rid of the yellow lines around the Hunter Street/Barrack Street and Gallowgate areas. Empty land could be put to better use. We have a public transport system that is really dreadful. Nothing connects. Great areas of the city have no access to the railways. I understand the frustration of not being able to park close to home, having cars sitting outside of your house all day while someone is at work. But until the council and government bite the bullet and invest money is a joined up infrastructure, people will continue to use cars. People's lives have changed since the 9-5 commute to work and back. Longer working hours, picking up kids from nursery and school, visiting elderly relatives who live further away than ever before (not everyone has family who are local); all these things contribute to a more mobile lifestyle than ever before. If our weather was conducive to cycling, I'm sure more would do it. It's something that needs clear thinking and just because a small minority of loud voices are calling for permits does not make that the answer. And limiting visitor permits to 6 hours is a bit of a cheek.

#37 - R replied on the 19/07/2019 10:09:15 PM

Folk need to get a grip on reality here. Stop moaning about parking in this central location you're all living in voluntarily. We're a mile from the city centre, a football stadium, a hospital and countless businesses. What were some people expecting? Driveways? This area was constructed before cars were invented, of course they're not designed to support this level of traffic. If you're a car owner who's moaning about the lack of available spaces in this area, please stop, because some of us don't mind scouting a wee bit for a spot then walking home. I suggest you either be content doing the same, move elsewhere or channel your energies into campaigning for better public transport services, because until they improve folk are still going to be driving.

#38 - anon replied on the 23/07/2019 9:22:56 AM

@ Mental, dont know why you keep jumping to conclusions and assumptions. There are subtlety's to this issue that seem to get easily lost, its important for everyone to understand the issues that have affected residents of the area and the council actions that bring us to where we are.

The issues around Barrack St. etc, the existing permit scheme at the Necropolis (the existence of which is often forgotten) has pushed the problem into Dennistoun. I dont ask to park for free outside my tenement, and i dont mind paying for a permit if it gives me a priority (which is what it does).

The point i make, as an example, is that the good folks of the west end have permits so have a priority for parking when they go home, but they can park for free in Dennistoun. Either take all the parking permits away, or give Dennistoun parity.

Do permits work? In my experience living in a few different UK city centres then yes they do work, parking in Dennistoun has easily been the most challenging.

Is it a money making scheme? The argument seems to focus on the income it would generate, it forgets the outgoing. The cost of painting parking bays (which i am all for regardless), cost of meter installation, signage, admin and actual parking wardens patrolling the area will swallow up the income in year 1. In future years it will no doubt return a profit.

#39 - anon replied on the 23/07/2019 10:28:40 AM

@37 R

I moved to Dennistoun before the following occurred;
double yellows being added in the Drives, and then around Barrack St
meters being added to Firpark St, Alexandra Parade, Duke St.
Necropolis parking permit scheme
Barras parking permit scheme
A very expensive car park at GRI that staff wont use
An empty multi storey on Duke St, which led to GCC adding double yellows around the vacant streets on Hunter St etc.

Dennistoun has been encircled by parking controls, each of these council actions forced more and more commuters into the Drives where parking is still free.

Those are the causes of the CURRENT parking issues. As has been discussed, when the hundreds (to repeat, hundreds) of new flats are built at Golfhill Primary and Meatmarket, without the required amount of parking as defined in GCC's own policies then the parking in Dennistoun will become much much worse.

Whatever its final form, the area is due for an update on parking or even driving (i.e. providing one way systems).

#40 - anon replied on the 24/07/2019 1:33:03 PM

empty multi storey. Actually it is about 70% full i'd say. I have a space in it for work

#41 - anon replied on the 24/07/2019 1:34:10 PM

New builds do not qualify for parking permits. So those hundreds of flats are going to be in for some surprise when they go to get one. Unless the council are forced to change their rules on that

#42 - James replied on the 28/07/2019 4:37:38 PM

I look forward to the implementation of the permits having lived in Dennistoun for
More than 20 years. Happy to pay for a permit and see a reduction in selfish commuter parking. On the kerb, tightly squeezed in or almost abandoned - cars lined along both sides of the street making it really hard for anyone with a buggy or in a wheelchair, as well as being really hazardous for anyone with a visual impairment negotiating what should be a pavement. Emergency services finding it impossible to get along the streets is also a problem I have witnessed commuters cheerfully emptying their vehicles of rubbish onto the pavement. And at the same time I empathise
With people going about their business and simply wanting
To drive to work. There is no simple answer that will work for everyone but there are good transport links to Dennistoun including train stations. We all need to be a bit more open to reducing our car usage.

#43 - anon replied on the 30/07/2019 10:10:16 PM

At the council meeting last week the council said that the date for if/when/whether or not a new build qualifies for parking permits or not is variable and depends in part on when a permit scheme is introduced to an area. I was told that if the permit scheme is introduced now then the new builds wouldn't qualify, but if the scheme was delayed and then went ahead years later, after the new flats were built, then they could qualify. Would be good if the council would formally this is the case.

@40 - when the MSCP was first built it was very quiet. I think its now with the Gallowgate permit scheme, perhaps even the new hotel, that the use has increased a lot. There is a report on the council website that declares Gallowgate permit scheme a success as all the new pay and display bays on the streets are sitting empty, when previously (before the permits) the streets were full of cars.

#44 - Son Of Onslow replied on the 30/07/2019 10:12:05 PM

It is not only those living in the tenements , I have a driveway as do a number of my neighbours and repeatedly there is cars parked halfway across the same . When I approached one individual I was told I could get a bus out , however the police did uplift the car as I was indeed blocked in . This is the fourth time this has happened to my knowledge . And this is in addition to those stopping to drop off children to nursery or indeed walk the dog ( they drive to Onslow gardens to walk their dog when we have ample parks nearby ) . I believe the issue is a lack of consideration of others and plain selfishness .

#45 - Anon replied on the 5/08/2019 12:19:06 AM

There are currently 22 parking permit zones in Glasgow, this includes permit schemes for the Barras and another one for the Necropolis. I can understand why hospital staff object to the parking scheme for Dennistoun, but why was no-one kicking off when it was introduced at the Necropolis - an area which includes the GRI. It is, in part, the Necropolis parking scheme that results in GRI staff parking in Dennistoun.

The Barras parking scheme was introduced a few years ago and probably pushed city centre commuters into Dennistoun, from where they can catch the train from Bellgrove (i have seen plenty of people in the evening walk up the hill from train station and then get in their car). If the council had been smart they could have been using the meat market site as a huge park and ride car park all these years. They could have used the the playing fields at the old Golfhill school as a car park too and charged £5 per day, you'd think it would have been full every day with hospital staff. Both areas of wasteground were owned by the council.

It's a shame to see they way its going, the council should either remove all permit schemes from the area, or blanket implement them!

You can reply to the post Parking in Dennistoun by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin