Edmund St tenements opposite swing park

jeanette posted on the 19/08/2016 11:32:22 AM

Does anyone out there know (maybe an old Denistounian?) what happened to the houses in Edmund St post 1911? It's the ones which occupied the space opposite the swing park. It was just spare ground in the 1950s.My grandmother is on the 1911 census there but the houses had gone by the time I lived there in the 1950s. I don't know whether someone told me they'd been bombed during the war(1st or 2nd?) or I just thought that was the most likely explanation since all the other tenements in the street (built at the same time I presume) were still there.Can anyone help?

#1 - Wilma replied on the 24/08/2016 9:29:45 PM

I lived in Edmund St from 1946 to 1965. As children we played on the waste ground opposite the swing park. The "clay hill" we called it as we dug up the special dirt. In places it was light brown and almost like potter's clay. In winter, at the first snow, we got out the tea trays and anything else we could sneak from the house to use as a sled on the very steep hill down to the Fisher St backs.

My extended family (the Fergusons) lived in the street for many years and I asked often if there had been a German bomb. I remember being told there were old mineshafts all over the East End and the houses had been demolished because of subsidence. The bomb always seemed the more dramatic explanation.

Hope this answers your question Jeanette.

#2 - jeanette replied on the 25/08/2016 12:26:05 AM

Thanks Wilma. I'm just wondering how I could verify the old mineshaft explanation. They may have some information at the local library but I'll have to contact them by email since I now live in Australia. Thanks once again.

You can reply to the post Edmund St tenements opposite swing park by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin