Memorial to Dennistouns war dead

Jim Watson posted on the 9/01/2017 9:48:31 PM

How do resident's of Dennistoun feel about having a memorial/plaque to honour the young men of our area who went to war and never came home.
I hope to raise this issue at the DCC meeting tomorrow.
Whilst a meeting with the council is already scheduled.
I will post further updates on this subject over the next 10 days or so.
I will then invite any interested parties to attend a meeting.
I'd be grateful for any initial feedback on here.
If anyone wishes to contact me then they can email jw1967@yahoo.com

#1 - Lady Stardust replied on the 9/01/2017 11:06:01 PM

I think this is a great idea.

#2 - Jim Watson replied on the 11/01/2017 2:21:08 AM

Big thank you to DCC for hearing me out tonight and being so positive.
Great to meet you all and i look forward to next month. JW.

#3 - john replied on the 11/01/2017 2:31:04 AM

the real problem would be where in Dennistoun to place it.
it would have to be somewhere that the young vandals couldn't reach, they have NO respect for anyone or anything
it would have to be accessible to let people read and touch it yet not let the vandals damage it for "fun"

#4 - Dennygirl replied on the 11/01/2017 11:05:37 AM

How about just outside the entrance to Alexandra Park on the Parade. It would be in a highly visible area. Are there cameras there? In any case there could be. What do other people think?

#5 - Jim Watson replied on the 11/01/2017 11:09:17 AM

Very true.
We did discuss this at the DCC meeting last night.
Location is very important.
My preference would be Alexandra park,near the main entrance.I am open to other idea"s if anyone else would like to contribute.

#6 - Dennistonnian replied on the 11/01/2017 1:27:11 PM

Think it's a great idea!

#7 - jill replied on the 12/01/2017 3:01:42 AM

there is already a memorial for the war dead, it sits on the fence over the road from the bus stop outside Redmond's

#8 - DAVEY replied on the 12/01/2017 3:02:28 AM

the tarmac land near the salvation army

#9 - DarthVader replied on the 13/01/2017 6:48:09 PM

jill,

"The Dennistoun Milestone" was commissioned by Dennistoun Community Council to mark Glasgow’s year of culture in 1990.

//

www.eveningtimes.co.uk/lifestyle/
13646277.Eye_Spy_Glasgow__
the__Darth_Vader__monument_in_Dennistoun/

#10 - Jim Watson replied on the 26/02/2017 3:53:37 PM

Information for anyone who would like to be kept up to date with the Dennistoun war memorial project can now be found on our new facebook and twitter pages.

Facebook :- Dennistoun war memorial

Twitter :- Dennistoun memorial @DWMlestweforget

Give us a friend request or a follow.

#11 - Jim Watson replied on the 26/02/2017 3:54:46 PM

I'd like to thank all local schools for showing an interest in the war memorial project.
We have a plan set out for school participation which we will reveal at our meeting on 7th March.
So well done to St Denis' primary,Golfhill primary,Whitehill secondary,Alexandra parade primary,Parkhill secondary and Parkhill primary.

You can reply to the post Memorial to Dennistoun's war dead by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin