Novel

Robert Ferguson posted on the 10/01/2018 9:33:40 PM

I'm writing a novel which is Glasgow based and hoped someone could help with a few queries I need to complete my writing. As it's based over different times, I struggled to have Google assist me with my inquiries.
Questions:
1/ Was there a Police sub station in Dennistoun in 1987? Or the closest station to Dennistoun would help.
2/ What would have been the quickest route (walking) from Bathgate St to the Clyde (close to the old sewage plant) in 1932. I found most of the modern maps May differ from earlier times.
3/ Is there a local historian in the neighbourhood I could contact with a few other questions?
Much appreciated
Robert Ferguson

#1 - James Mc replied on the 11/01/2018 10:20:33 AM

I don't recall a Dennistoun police station in the 80s, I think the nearest one was either London Rd (Bridgeton) or Baird St (Sighthill), depending on which side of Dennistoun you were on. I remember going to London Rd with my dad to identify a stolen bike, must have been mid 80s.

As for the route from Bathgate St to the Clyde, it depend if they are being sneaky or not. I'd personally use the railway footbridge at Bellfield St. You might find this map useful. Link decapitated: www.gla.ac.uk/media/
and then media_107228_en.jpg

Don't know any historians, but as a writer myself, with many stories set inn historical Dennistoun, I might be able to help you out with any specific questions.

#2 - Robert Ferguson replied on the 11/01/2018 9:53:37 PM

James, I really appreciate your response and thank you for any additional help. Maybe we can exchange email addresses if there is a way to do so safely.

#3 - James Mc replied on the 12/01/2018 10:14:28 AM

You can get me on scottishwriting @ virginmedia.com
This is a temporary email address, once you send something there I'll use my normal one.

#4 - Robert Ferguson replied on the 12/01/2018 2:23:24 PM

James, The email address supplied isn't responding for some reason or other..

#5 - James Mc replied on the 12/01/2018 6:38:43 PM

Try taking the spaces either side of the @ out

It was to stop spam robots

#6 - Curiouscat replied on the 13/01/2018 3:29:12 PM

It might be worth contacting the Dennistoun conservation people too. Think their details are available on this website somewhere.

#7 - Robert Ferguson replied on the 22/02/2018 12:51:04 PM

Would anyone have information on wedding venues in Denniston circa 1968? Hotels or halls etc

Much appreciated

You can reply to the post Novel by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin