Old Duke Street Abattoir site

Faith posted on the 20/10/2016 6:23:48 PM

Hello,

Noticed workmen and diggers within the fenced area the last few days.

Does anyone know what's happening, please tell me it's finally getting used for something!

Thanks,

Faith

#1 - anon replied on the 20/10/2016 11:47:43 PM

Money was included in the city deal to do exploratory work on the site to help try and stimulate investment. So, no nothing specific quite yet I don't think.

I personally anticipate a Laurieston type housing build to go in that slot eventually.

#2 - Malarki replied on the 22/10/2016 2:36:44 AM

Part of the stalled plan by Dawn Developments was to build housing on the Abattoir site I think - only the building on the corner of Duke St and High St (leased to the council), the Duke St car park plus firstly one block of student accommodation on Havannah St and then the second on Duke St next to the car park (which was originally intended to be a hotel) got built as part of that overall plan. A new application and work now seems to have started on one of the original plan's further blocks of student accommodation on Havannah St, so may be that the plan is being revived and something will got built on the Abattoir site, as well as the whole site back to Gallowgate? see here for some info on the original plan: www.dawn-developments.co.uk/collegelands1.html

#3 - MoodyBlues replied on the 22/10/2016 2:37:41 AM

A little bird tells me HMRC has secured it to build one of what they refer to as their Regional Centre.

#4 - Giraffe replied on the 3/11/2016 2:14:58 AM

Some decade-old 'masterplanning' info for the area can be seen about a third of the way down this page: www.futureglasgow.co.uk/index_regeneration_areas.html

This image shows the future that was lined up for the meat market sheds when looking through a pre- financial crash lens: www.futureglasgow.co.uk/Alternate/Bellgrove3.jpg

Changed times.

You can reply to the post Old Duke Street Abattoir site by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin