Pavement Parking Campaign

Malarki posted on the 26/01/2016 11:06:50 PM

Fed up with being forced to walk in the road?
e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1719&ea.campaign.id=46645&ea.tracking.id=twitter-share

#1 - Frank Plowright replied on the 27/01/2016 8:36:17 AM

Thanks for the link. As far as Dennistoun goes, there is to be a Council consultation about this and other traffic matters in the spring this year.

#2 - Swan replied on the 27/01/2016 4:37:47 PM

Just after I read this post, I looked out saw two vans parked on the pavement across the street, nose to nose, with no room for anyone to walk between them, never mind if you were in a wheelchair. I've got a good clear photo, but I'm not sure whether to report it, or indeed who to report it to?

#3 - The Mentalist replied on the 28/01/2016 10:24:02 AM

Age old problem in Glasgow. Houses built before the mass use of cars. Council are partly to blame with widening of pavements on main drag, numerous loading bays, etc etc.

#4 - curiouscat replied on the 29/01/2016 1:05:06 PM

Council also to blame for building the wee sticky out bits with bollards on - no idea of their real term??

They don't slow anyone down and take up 2 parking spaces each!

#5 - Malarki replied on the 30/01/2016 5:12:39 PM

If you park on the pavement, you've parked on the pavement. Nobody else to blame. It's anti-social and maybe soon illegal. Pavements are for pedestrians.

#6 - wullie replied on the 31/01/2016 11:09:43 AM

There are a lot of people who need a car.There not cheap to run and most wouldnt have them,if they didnt need them.
If it became illegal to park then every parking place would
soon be taken up,the problem is numbers,too many cars not
enough spaces,its not anti social its just being pragmatic.

#7 - P.L.B replied on the 31/01/2016 4:42:06 PM

I think there's a difference between pragmatism and being inconsiderate. It would be pragmatic of me to utilise the 2 major bus routes and 3 train stations in the area and not turn my travel problems into inconveniencing other people.
If I were being inconsiderate I'd restrict residents of the use of pavements and access for deliveries, throw rubbish out of the cars which block your access and deliveries and turn the bus-stop outside City Park into a smoking shelter.
I also guess that if I turned up at any of The Parkers homes every day, blocked their access to the pavements and deliveries, threw my lunch wrappers in their street, restricted wheelchair and buggy access and smoked up a storm at their corners and bus shelters then I would be deemed anti-social...and rightly so.
But that's just me. ;)

#8 - john replied on the 15/02/2016 2:40:56 AM

Thanks for the link, I have signed it
some of the worst offenders are parents in cars doing the school run, they start turning up half an hour before the schools get out in order to get a parking space then park half on/half off the pavement, I was nearly hit the other week when a car mounted the pavement by a parent desperate for a parking space, when I confronted her she said that she HAD to mount the pavement as the road is too narrow for cars to park both side as that would block the traffic entering the street, I suggested that if the road is too narrow then she would be better to find somewhere safe to park, it fell on deaf ears though - she didn't seem to care that she nearly hit me

#9 - Dennistonnian replied on the 17/02/2016 3:55:30 PM

I have just signed the petition. I am fed up with folk parking on the pavement on the way into Whitehill Court. Several times I had to walk on the road with my pram as couldn't get passed and my biggest fear is fire engines not being able to get through. I have been told that fire engines will just ram the cars which quite frankly I don't have a problem with but this shouldn't be an issue in the first place if people weren't so ignorant.

#10 - Dennistonnian replied on the 5/03/2016 11:26:07 PM

Whitehill Place and Whitehill Court are not adopted roads.

More info here (including a link to a map of adopted roads in Glasgow): glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17556

If a new road to be built is to be an adopted one, a proposal is submitted by the developer, subject to approval by the Council. When satisfactorily completed, the Council adopts the road and takes on responsibility for maintenance and upkeep.

In this particular case, Whitehill Place was due to be adopted. Whitehill Court was not. But the developer went bust. So the adoption never happened. There's a sort of limbo situation.

The Council will not adopt a road without a formal application for adoption. If a formal adoption request is forthcoming, the road needs to be confirmed as having been built to the pre-approved specification. It is understood to be the case that Whitehill Place had outstanding snagging issues identified and remedial works required when the developer went bust.

There should be a bond in place, initially arranged by the developer, and guaranteed/backed by a third party. It's basically an insurance policy of sorts, to ensure that funds are available for the road can be completed and adopted if the developer is no longer on the scene.

In this instance, any application for adoption is possibly best dealt with by the factor for the development. Without being pushed by residents, there's little incentive for the factor to get involved.

Ultimately, the owner (or collective ownership) of a private road is responsible for its upkeep and maintenance.

Info on how to apply for a road adoption is here: glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=18874

#11 - anon replied on the 9/03/2016 10:56:55 PM

Would love to do something about the pavement parking on the entrance to Whitehill Place. You are right in saying it is not an adopted road so the residents responsibility, but it infuriates me the way non residents use it to park their cars on both sides of the entrance.

It is bad enough for residents trying to drive in and out every day, and for those walking to squeeze themselves past parked cars but these selfish people are also making it difficult for the fire service to gain entry to the complex. Sure they can bump cars out the way but what time is lost in getting to a potential fire by having to do this.

People who park there don't even live on the complex and I can't imagine they would be too forth coming with any money when the residents have to stump up for damage done to pavements by their inconsiderate parking.

I have contacted our factors about this previously but got the standard non reply. They sign that was put up indicating the complex is private parking is next to useless.

#12 - Dennistonian replied on the 10/03/2016 10:03:27 AM

I live in that area and if I had my way there would be a barrier just like there is on the new flats are Alexandra Parade (the ones next to the Hospital.

#13 - The Mentalist replied on the 10/03/2016 1:16:43 PM

"I live in that area and if I had my way there would be a barrier just like there is on the new flats are Alexandra Parade (the ones next to the Hospital."

This is something that you arrange through the factor.

#14 - Dennistonnian replied on the 11/03/2016 12:31:49 AM

I live in the flats adjacent to this road. I'm very happy there isn't a barrier up. The location doesn't suit it. And I don't want to live caged behind big fences and barriers... and then have to pay for the inevitable unwieldy maintenance costs associated with such complications.

What I'd like is for the road to be adopted, as per the original intention. Hopefully anyone else reading this who lives in the flats on and around Whitehill Place will contact the factor (or their landlord) and urge them to fulfill their role of as custodian for the area by working with the council to get the road adopted. It wouldn't be particularly difficult. And it's absolutely the right thing to do in order for owners to avoid the potentially large cost of major fixes on the road a few years down the line.

And I sympathise with the issue of access, too. All throughout Dennistoun. It's infuriating that drivers take the liberty of inconsiderately plonking their vehicle into a pedestrian areas and there's seemingly very little will or inclination toward dealing with it by those who have the authority to do so.

In the meantime. I understand that the possibility exists for private roads to have enforceable double yellow lines. Worth approaching the traffic and road safety department at the council about, perhaps?

#15 - anon replied on the 11/03/2016 8:57:34 AM

Dennistonian agree a barrier is not ideal there because of the tight access, but I think it is still an option if other avenues fail. Can I ask if you have already approached the factor regarding having the road adopted? I am happy to do so as well,// The more voices the better.

#16 - may replied on the 5/09/2016 10:39:40 PM

any idea what has became of the campaign.
I took the time to sign the petition but that's the last I have heard about it.
does anyone have an update please

#17 - anon replied on the 6/09/2016 10:18:26 AM

the parking is at an all time high in the drives, absolute nightmare at armadale going onto duke st, not long before someone is killed with cars having to reverse onto duke st. all the other roads of duke st are one way so why not this one!! a lot of this is due to new retail places such as dennoston bbq and black vanilla. and not to mention the 5 churches in the area!!

#18 - Chb replied on the 6/09/2016 11:52:55 AM

Anyone heard details of the next community Council meeting? Think I'll head along and raise this, it's becoming a joke.

#19 - anon replied on the 6/09/2016 6:36:26 PM

think its next week, link are in the left!

#20 - Malarki replied on the 6/09/2016 6:51:24 PM

Bill fell due to dissolution of Scottish Parliament prior to elections. New bill needs to be introduced - www.livingstreets.org.uk/what-you-can-do/campaigns/call-for-a-pavement-parking-ban-in-scotland

#21 - Aileen Mac replied on the 8/09/2016 11:04:45 AM

I read in the. Evening Times classified section that the council propose to eliminate the chignons ( the curved sticky out bits with the bollards) with speed bumps instead on Armadale St and Craigpark thus making more parking spaces available. Don't know when this will happen but you can check it out at the planning department.

#22 - The Mentalist replied on the 8/09/2016 1:04:36 PM

I hope the speed bumps are of better design and quality than those on Wellshot Road in Shettleston which are a danger. Too high and too many.

#23 - Jen replied on the 12/09/2016 3:26:53 PM

I live on Armadale Street and it is used as a thoroughfare for cars skipping the lights. I drive and have had abuse countless times from drivers as I reverse park (quickly!) outside my flat. They also frequently run through the give way, which is bound to lead to an accident. In my opinion the street should be one way and have speed bumps. Pretty sure this would help eliminate the car parking on pavements of Armadale too.

#24 - LM replied on the 12/09/2016 8:08:30 PM

I have been in touch with the First Ministers Office, Scotland Office and Transport Scotland. There will be a consultation in winter 2016 on the proposed legislation to ban pavement parking. I am being kept up to date with developments on this and will post the link to the consultation when published. I urge everyone to reply to the consultation to help push through the legislation ending the inconsiderate and seriously risky behaviour of many motorists.

#25 - Dennistonian replied on the 13/09/2016 12:34:18 PM

Thanks LM for looking into this. Really appreciate it!

You can reply to the post Pavement Parking Campaign by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin