Rubbish in back court and recycling

Gillian posted on the 17/12/2016 7:13:14 PM

Looking for some advice, over the last 8 months we have gone from being a nice tidy close to people dumping open bags of rubbish outside the back door. We also have a few tenants putting their black bin bags in the paper and food recycling bins. Any suggestions on how to best handle this. Sick in tired of tripping over rubbish and the smell of rotting food coming in to my bathroom window as I am ground floor Thanks

#1 - Mort replied on the 19/12/2016 12:47:53 AM

Gillian,

Sorry to hear about this. Been through it all before. Though ours was never that tidy to begin with. Wonder why there's been a break down. Has there been a personnel change in the close? When we lost some good people from our close (as in tidy) - they were replaced with folk who have no interest in separating anything. Empty beer bottles in the blue bin - black bags in there too. Seems people are getting lazier with this stuff as the years go on. This mentality that someone else will do it. If we all do our bit then communal living can work just fine. Hope you get it sorted.

#2 - J replied on the 19/12/2016 12:48:53 AM

Hi Gillian

We had a similar issue at the start of the year and called Glasgow City Councils Environmental Health. We just had 1 of our neighbours that were causing the problem so they came out and spoke to them directly and we have had less of problem (not completely solved) since. Hope you get it sorted.

#3 - alaina replied on the 19/12/2016 12:52:18 AM

do you have good relationships with your neighbours? or has it been the case that there's been alot of people who have moved out/moved in? we self-factor in our close and we have an email distro list which we use, which is comprised of the owners of the flats. any issues i've had in the past, i go directly to the owner/landlord. Failing that, contact Environmental Services at the council and explain your situation. I don't know how readily they can enforce anything//.

#4 - anon replied on the 19/12/2016 12:55:00 PM

we have the same issue, as no one seems to recycle metal bins overflow, then foxes seagulls rip the bags meaning mess!! i contacted glasgow city council but they wouldnt do anything so i had to tidy it myslef - 2 weeks later its a mess again! SO FRUSTRATING,

#5 - Gillian replied on the 19/12/2016 5:11:08 PM

Thanks for all the info. New neighbours started the dumping but somebody who has been there for years has also joined in. You think if you are going to dump rubbish you wouldn't leave addressed envelopes poking out of the top. Have a lovely Christmas all.

#6 - anon replied on the 23/12/2016 12:33:15 AM

AGREE - I think the bin situation for all area tenements could be improved!

#7 - john replied on the 3/01/2017 4:35:33 AM

you never had this sort of problem when we had the "scaffies"
they were council employed street sweepers that were responsible for sweeping up rubbish left behind in the back courts by the refuse collectors, they would come round at least once a week to sweep the court and sort out any burst bin bags but I think they were stopped as a money saving scheme, with the state of many back courts there would be a good case for bringing them back on environmental grounds

#8 - The Mentalist replied on the 3/01/2017 12:58:14 PM

Why do some people think it's okay to live in a middin

You can reply to the post Rubbish in back court and recycling by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin