Traffic calming on Westercraigs

Charlotte posted on the 19/04/2017 12:11:56 PM

It seems since the traffic calming measures on Westercraigs were changed from the the previous wider pavements which meant cars had to slow to allow those coming in the opposite direction to pass (not sure of the correct name) to a single speed bump, vehicles are speeding up and down the street. Lots of people use Westercraigs as a cut through, coming flying over the top of the hill which I actually think is an accident waiting to happen (as well as being irritated by the noise, especially at night). I'm assuming there would have been lots of discussion previously when the traffic calming was changed, but i'm wondering about the reasoning behind this and if other people think this have improved the situation or made it worse?

#1 - Emma replied on the 19/04/2017 5:44:47 PM

Hi Charlotte, I totally agree. Lorries and vans are 'bouncing' over the bumps it would be worth contacting the ward MP regarding this, they could give you more information.

#2 - anon replied on the 19/04/2017 5:45:42 PM

I don't use Westercraigs, but I pass by Craigpark from time to time. My impressions are that before, if the road was quiet, there was no need to slow down much, as it was possible to do a slalom. Ergo, cars could keep up a semi-constant speed.
Now, even if the road is empty, the speed-bumps are rather high and it forces the drivers to slow right away down. But, at the same time, that is going to be noisier, as the whole maneuver of - slow down / speed bump / accelerate again - has to be repeated several times.

Craigpark and Armadale Street are the 2 only streets (besides Cumbernauld road) that directly connect Dennistoun's two main arteries (Alexandra Parade and Duke Street)
I honestly don't know what is the solution, but having narrow Victorian streets filled with cars parked at random spots, and traffic going both ways, is not an ideal scenario.

#3 - CV3V replied on the 19/04/2017 5:46:50 PM

I read something on minutes from Dennistoun Community Council website that the chicanes didn’t really slow cars down and that speedbumps were considered more effective. But I did wonder about the noise as people go over the bumps and then accelerate off.

#4 - Anon replied on the 20/04/2017 12:46:25 AM

Let's take a few points slowing down at bumps then speeding causes more emmissions into the air also even at low speeds catch car underneath causing damage and as per they so badly done they are sinking and breaking causing them to be even more higher. Also they are on Craigpark as mentioned above not westercraigs.

#5 - D replied on the 20/04/2017 10:45:24 AM

Hi Anon they are also on westercraigs as well opposite the church conversion near the post office. People do tend to accelerate away from them.

#6 - mac01 replied on the 20/04/2017 10:46:28 AM

The chicanes "if" I remember right were mainly put in to deter HGV/lorries using the streets as a rat run. The new bumps are, IMO, a step back.

#7 - Charlotte replied on the 20/04/2017 7:05:11 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I live on Westercraigs but yes, same issue on Craigpark. Although i think they put 2 speedbumps on Craigpark and only one on Westercraigs (so probably slower traffic and more noise as cars speed up after slowing to pass each bump). I'm really not sure what the answer is (more speed bumps equals more noise) but I will write to my MP as someone mentioned above. I'm really concerned about the speed at which people fly over the top of the hill and down towards Duke Street //.

#8 - Alan replied on the 20/04/2017 10:15:58 PM

People use the drives as a race track also. I hear some drivers revving all the way up, easily hitting 40mph. If anyone pulls out of any of the junctions where the lines have faded in front of one of these drivers........

#9 - Malarki replied on the 21/04/2017 12:46:32 AM

I'd have thought it would be councillors that you want to speak to as they're more directly responsible for local traffic calming measures than MPs or even MSPs.

#10 - JH replied on the 21/04/2017 4:04:06 PM

I live on Armadale and think the bumps are better than the chicanes for reducing speed and for traffic flow. Armadale St is never going to be very quiet so noise isn't an issue for me and I can't say I've noticed an increase.

#11 - Bulldog replied on the 21/04/2017 8:27:35 PM

Is it okay to actually drive through Dennistoun or should we pay a toll?

You can reply to the post Traffic calming on Westercraigs by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin