Community News, Views & Information

Untaxed cars in private car park

Julie posted on the 16/04/2017 11:35:07 PM

We frequently have untaxed cars parked in our residents car park for months on end. They don't belong to any of the residents and one of these cars hasn't been moved since August last year. We suspect it's a local garage but haven't seen the cars being left so we don't know for definite.

Anyone got any advice on who to contact about this?

7 Replies :

#1 - Alan replied on the 17/04/2017 9:09:56 AM

The police won't be interested as they are off the road so it's not a criminal matter.

Factors regarding use of the car park maybe? Are you the flats on onslow drive? I have seen vans regularly abandoned there covered in moss and flat tyres.

#2 - anon replied on the 17/04/2017 9:11:10 AM

maybe DVLA, if a car is untaxed because it is off the road then the owner would have to inform DVLA, I think you can buy information about the owners of the cars, if it is a garage then politely ask them if he could remove his cars otherwise you will get them towed.
it will cost money to get that info from DVLA but if it is really annoying you then its all I can think of as the police wont touch it (its a civil matter not a police matter)

#3 - CV3V replied on the 17/04/2017 9:12:02 AM

You can report it to DVLA, might be more complicated if its on a private road though. But worth a try

If you google: report untaxed vevicles DVLA you will find it (links not allowed on forum).

#4 - CV3V replied on the 17/04/2017 2:38:22 PM

as above, check the DVLA website, enter car registration details and it will tell you if the vehicle is taxed and mot'd, if not then you can report it. All free on DVLA website.

#5 - Alan replied on the 17/04/2017 9:17:42 PM

CV3V report what? An untaxed car not on a public road?

#6 - CV3V replied on the 18/04/2017 1:19:04 AM

Alan - Firstly, i advise to check DVLA website to see is it taxed? If not, is it SORN? If it is not taxed and not SORN the report it to DVLA. Whether the DVLA can do anything about it being on or off a public road i don't know, but i would still be proactive and report it.

The procedure is there on the DVLA website.

#7 - CV3V replied on the 18/04/2017 1:19:39 AM

You can report abandoned vehicles to the council, quick google of council website will show the page. But they need to be clearly abandoned i.e. vandalised, insecure etc.

Years ago i reported an abandoned van in Dennistoun village (private road, not adopted) and the council removed it after a few days. Whether or not the council should remove vehicles from private roads or not, don't know, but they did remove it.

You can reply to the post Untaxed cars in private car park by completing the form. No registration required. The forum is moderated in order that messages adhere to the editorial integrity of Dennistoun Online. Please read the guidelines before you submit to the forum. If you believe that we have missed a message that contravenes these guidelines then please contact us and we will either edit or remove it.

Copyright © 1999- Dennistoun Online
All rights reserved | Admin